Routers

jamesd

I'm really starting to enjoy making things out of wood/carpentry and am looking to expand my tool kit with a router but not sure which one to buy?

I'm not looking at spending a huge amount of money as it won't be used that often so would second hand be a option?

I intend to use it for cutting rebates for some doors and windows i'm going to start making soon would a router be suitable for this?

James.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

festool is expensive and you would be lucky to find a second hand router in perfect working order for less than a new makita or dewalt.

i have a 1/2 inch dewalt, the slide or plunge and the motor are strong. the other bits like handles and depth gauges could be that little bit more if you know what i mean. other than that its worked very well for me in all weather and with multiple users. so dewalt or trend(same router with a few improvements) great for starting up but theres better on the market, what are you looking to spend?

1/2 inch or 1/4 inch? If you want to do windows and joinery you need a big 1/2 inch router

My favourite out of the 5 we have in the workshops is the big Makita 3612c. It is hugely powerful, solidly built easy to handle. The trigger on the grips make it easy to control and it feels balanced in use. You should be able to pick up a secondhand unit off of the,bay for around £75.

Other than that our Festool is superb, well balanced a very refine tool but bloody expensive. The Dewalt mentioned above is a good tool and very reliable with plenty of power just lacks the refinement of others. Trend and Freud used to be good machines but quality of parts has dropped off hugely in the last couple of years. Don't bother wit Bosch or Hitachi.

You might want to think about buying or making up a table to mount the router in. Makes for much more accurate and safe working. Routers are fairly safe but they do occasionally bite.

My choice would be a second hand Makita........ Best for the cash.

Keep an eye out for a SH Elu. I have a 1/4" and 1/2" and they have been truly superb. Both 25 years old and only thing they ever need is a change of bearings every 10 years. Think Dewalt bought Elu so their models are probably based on them.

For windows and doors I would go for a well powered 1/2" model

Edited by Woodworks

Keep an eye out for a SH Elu. I have a 1/4" and 1/2" and they have been truly superb. Both 25 years old and only thing they ever need is a change of bearings every 10 years. Think Dewalt bought Elu so their models are probably based on them.

For windows and doors I would go for a well powered 1/2" model

I second this opionion, my elu was a rock before it got nicked, now use a dewalt, use the 1/4 for smaller stuff, but think a 1/2 would have more grunt for bigger door rebates etc,,,:thumbup1:

Agree with the above, Elu routers are bulletproof and will last forever if you can find one secondhand.

They were taken over by Dewalt and while keeping most of the main design feature the quality of parts dropped off. Still the Dewalt is worth having if you can get one cheap.

Cheers for the information guys, decided its best to try and get a 1/2" version then.

The dewalts and makitas are upwards of £300 pounds new which is a bit steep for me. Apart from the Bay where is is a good place to look for second hand units?

I needed a router about 10yrs ago when cash was very tight (everything was tied up in the house which I was renovating, hence needing the router - catch 22 situation), so I bought a really cheap one - Blackspur I think. I still have it, it has done a reasonable amount of work - nothing like professional use but I don't feel it owes me anything and everything about it is solid, just basic.

The only down side to it is that it has an 8mm collet. In future I would buy a 1/2" - 8mm has worked OK but the range of bits is more limited which has been a bit restrictive.

I like Trend bits - very good range and quality has been excellent.

Alec