The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

Legal obligation to report tax dodgers? An accountant might have, but we don't live in a police state just yet thankfully.

It works both ways. Yes, they might think they are smart selling a few logs for cash in the winter. I know when I worked on the farm the £40 for logs effectively doubled my days money. I suspect many on here started that way.

However, if someone with a 9-5 job is doing logs on the side for cash, they are unable to claim tax back for any gear they use.

Do you buy from eBay or Amazon? These are companies who undercut local businesses and dodge tax....

You need to get over yourself and realise that you are in a trade with exceptionally low entry barriers. These 'beer money merchants' are showing more entrepreneurial spirit than you currently. A man who seeks to succeed by dragging others down is the lowest form of a man. Crabs in a bucket, anyone?

Very well said sir!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to stoke the fire any more than it is already but how do you know they're not paying tax? I appreciate you may have a good idea and you may be right, but you don't know do you?

it's for the tax to investigate, the page says don't investigate yourself let them do it. follow the link below there's a couple of options on the page. for not paying tax or cash in hand pay.

http://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregistered-trader-or-business

to the other comment, reporting is looking after your own business, every year it gets harder to make a living because people will always try the cheaper logs they can't help themselves, it doesn't matter what quality you are selling there is no customer loyalty any more. you might choose to let these people put you out of business but I have no desire to shut down and get a job working for someone else.

amazon etc are running their businesses legal it might be immoral what they are doing but not illegal and I buy majority of my goods from local shops although I do use amazon costa starbucks etc occassionaly.

I do think it quite revealing the responses to this not to get rid of the rogue traders. I have a broad back your insults have no effect. clearly the tax should be having a very close look at the people on this forum.

Steady on chaps.

I read it that Logs and Stuff runs a legitimate business and is rightly bothered by those that he suspects don't; undercutting him. Tax Dodging hurts all of us that don't dodge tax.

Can't say I would go as far as grassing someone up but maybe we should as a civic duty. Placeing tin hat on and runing for cover.

it's for the tax to investigate, the page says don't investigate yourself let them do it. follow the link below there's a couple of options on the page. for not paying tax or cash in hand pay.

http://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregistered-trader-or-business

But you didn't answer my question, do you KNOW they are evading tax or are you wanting to report them because they're cheaper than you and you think they MIGHT be dodgy?

to the other comment, reporting is looking after your own business, every year it gets harder to make a living because people will always try the cheaper logs they can't help themselves, it doesn't matter what quality you are selling there is no customer loyalty any more. you might choose to let these people put you out of business but I have no desire to shut down and get a job working for someone else.

So friggin what? As mentioned in an earlier post, Eddie Stobart started with logs and then found something more profitable. I myself have moved sharply away from logs over the past few years.

Businesses constantly evolve due to market conditions. You are the epitome of a poor businessman if you cannot accept this and seek to drag others down to benefit yourself. You really think the only alternative option is to fold and work for someone? I know I said the entry barriers to the log trade were low, but come on!

You don't see Waitrose running smear campaigns against other supermarkets. OK, there might be some tongue in cheek advertising but that's about it. And they do pretty well despite being more expensive. Your business model is similar I believe, premium product? In which case, if you are the Waitrose of wood, why do you feel the need to drag others down?

An idiot is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expects a different result.

Deal with your own business not others I run a straight business as I don't want the hassle if I thought I could get away with not giving the tax man 25% of my earnings I would.

Grassing , dobbing ,been a snake will get you no where. I for one am glad the cash in hand boys are there wanting a quick buck with there half cube of wet green oak for £80. When I turn up with a 1cube of ash beech and dead oak for£130asking for cheque or bacs payment it makes me look even better. Word spreads quickly that x is selling crap & y is selling the good stuff.

An honest post, and a good grip on reality :thumbup1:

logsnstuff what you should remember is just because someone does a 9to5 job and doing logs you seem to assume that they are on the fiddle WHY?

Also when you started in the firewood business you never sold any for cash and put the money in your pocket you started paying tax straight away did you ! what you should remember when you are reporting everyone is that what goes around comes around to bite you on the ass.

But you didn't answer my question, do you KNOW they are evading tax or are you wanting to report them because they're cheaper than you and you think they MIGHT be dodgy?

I said I would only report people I suspect of dodging not because they are cheaper than me. I have no problem with healthy competition just those using illegal means for an advantage. that's not entrepreneurship that's criminal activity.

logsnstuff what you should remember is just because someone does a 9to5 job and doing logs you seem to assume that they are on the fiddle WHY?

Also when you started in the firewood business you never sold any for cash and put the money in your pocket you started paying tax straight away did you ! what you should remember when you are reporting everyone is that what goes around comes around to bite you on the ass.

I didnt pocket money no, I was Vat registered in the first month and we have always asked to be paid by cheque. when I started I had enough money to buy some basic equip, some timber and carry me through the first season. I never had to fiddle tax. for 8 years I have ignored it but it's now impacting on me and I don't see why I should sit back and say on you go chaps run your illegal businesses and put me on the dole queue because I shouldn't report you. I roughly make 3-400 sales in a season and I get less than 5 paying cash everyone is now paying BACS faster and cheaper.

I said I would only report people I suspect of dodging not because they are cheaper than me. I have no problem with healthy competition just those using illegal means for an advantage. that's not entrepreneurship that's criminal activity.

Ok understood, so what are they doing that's illegal, just curious now?