The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

A lot of importing of firewood these days aswell.

I spoke to a guy in North America, he was exporting 25 containers a day (around the world)

He reckoned about 5 or 6 per week were coming into the UK.

Thats one guy from one country.

Probably thousands of tonnes being imported on a weekly basis.

We didnt have that afew years ago.

And how worrying is that! Emerald ash and birch bronze borers. We are all just crazy.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the beer money people near us soon get pissed off with logs because the have an chainsaw and axe, they are depending on wood that they get from farmers for free and they don't like hard work , people only buy cheap wet wood once so no repeat orders.

What you should bear in mind are the repercussions from reporting these people ,looking at your website you have quite a lot off good machinery and these type off people will have no qualms regarding damaging stuff in the long run it could cost you a lot more that a few lost log sales.

only reason I would now consider it is the fact they burned the forwarder already which obviously was the most expensive item we had. the fact the fire extinguishers were removed makes us believe it's someone with experience in forestry/firewood or machinery sales unlikely we will ever find out although police reckon it's a rival merchant. rest of the machinery is getting old and not that valuable

I know you don't NEED facts, I asked if you had any.

How can you be certain (your word) if you don't have facts? You either know or you don't and if you don't know you're reporting someone on suspicion alone based on them doing something you're not happy about and may be perfectly legal.

I'll leave it with you now.

I can be certain because I have spoken to some who have said they will only take cash that way nobody knows how much they sell that's a pretty clear point they are fiddling. didn't think you would need something so obvious to be written down you should be able to work this kind of thing out for yourself.

I can be certain because I have spoken to some who have said they will only take cash that way nobody knows how much they sell that's a pretty clear point they are fiddling. didn't think you would need something so obvious to be written down you should be able to work this kind of thing out for yourself.

No I don't need it written down thanks. Clearly you do though as it is not illegal to only take cash, despite whatever you think that means it is not proof that they are fiddling.

I really do give up now. Whether they are fiddling or not, whether they are impacting your business or not is irrelevant. You seem to think they are just because they deal in cash only and I'll say it again just for your benefit, you may well be right you just don't know for a fact so report away :001_rolleyes:

Most of the beer money people near us soon get pissed off with logs because the have an chainsaw and axe, they are depending on wood that they get from farmers for free and they don't like hard work , people only buy cheap wet wood once so no repeat orders.

What you should bear in mind are the repercussions from reporting these people ,looking at your website you have quite a lot off good machinery and these type off people will have no qualms regarding damaging stuff in the long run it could cost you a lot more that a few lost log sales.

So he should be cowed into saying nothing, you mean? :confused1:

No I don't need it written down thanks. Clearly you do though as it is not illegal to only take cash, despite whatever you think that means it is not proof that they are fiddling.

I really do give up now. Whether they are fiddling or not, whether they are impacting your business or not is irrelevant. You seem to think they are just because they deal in cash only and I'll say it again just for your benefit, you may well be right you just don't know for a fact so report away :001_rolleyes:

you should try reading everything it's not the fact they were dealing only in cash it was the fact they then said nobody knows how much they sell. thats the bit which implies they are fiddling it's not a guarantee they are dodgy but they implied it.

I have already told you several times I haven't reported anyone and this was started because of the people further back complaining they couldn't sell any logs and were packing it in, my sales are up on last year, I was mearly giving an opinion on an option they should consider, I do believe the dislike of the idea expressed here is very telling on how you are operating your businesses way too much aggression imo for you not to be dodging a bit.

Edited by Logsnstuff

Going back to increased competition. The FC and other bodies are actively encouraging more farmers and landowners to start managing their neglected woodlands and finance it through selling as firewood and other products. Benefits obviously the timber is free, yard/barn space is free, other costs (tractors, trailers, pickups, accountants, etc) are mostly paid for through the agricultural side and it also provides a revenue during the quieter winter months. Of course they are all perfectly entitled to do this.

My question is if you have an area with twice as many people selling as there is demand, is it a case of survival of the fittest/cream rise to the top? or do they all just get 50% of sales needed and all go bust (apart from those who it is just a sideline)?

you should try reading everything it's not the fact they were dealing only in cash it was the fact they then said nobody knows how much they sell. thats the bit which implies they are fiddling it's not a guarantee they are dodgy but they implied it.

I have already told you several times I haven't reported anyone and this was started because of the people further back complaining they couldn't sell any logs and were packing it in, my sales are up on last year, I was mearly giving an opinion on an option they should consider, I do believe the dislike of the idea expressed here is very telling on how you are operating your businesses way too much aggression imo for you not to be dodging a bit.

You may not have reported anyone but your initial post below suggested it wouldn't be long.

I do wonder at the reluctance to shop the beer money guys, they undercut and make life very hard. my tolerance for them is exhausted and I will report any I find round my way now, just lucky most who post here are far enough away that they don't effect me.

Furthermore I think any aggression (with regards to my posts) has been initiated by you so maybe it's my turn. I am not in this game in any way, shape or form so your ridiculous comments regarding me being dodgy (irrespective of what I do) are laughable.

As an aside this has escalated and gone off track purely and simply because I asked what evidence you had of illegal operations. Whether or not I condone such activities or whether or not you should report such things is frankly irrelevant as that wasn't my question.

I was just driving past one of the farm field gatewaysthe other day, directly opposite a pair of semi detached cottages which belong to the farm. There was a small white van parked at the entrance and a middle aged couple were in the field but I could not see what they were doing as I had a big Mercedes right on my tail.

Glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the man carrying something on his shoulder.

I had to go down the road for some distance to turn round as the Merc was still right up my backside. By the time I had returned to the field entrance the van had gone, but there was a pile of sawdust.

About four years ago I had heard that a load of Gypsies were on their way to the area and we put some fairly rotten pine logs across the gateways. About 18 inches in diameter and about twelve feet long and certainly not worth putting through my processor. It was one of these that they had cut up and taken.

As I say they were half rotten four years ago so imagine what they are like having sat in the weather for that amount of time. The effort of chainsawing them, the risk of an earful from me (very frightening!) driving out from wherever diesel/petrol used, energy used in sawing/carrying and then ending up with a load of sodden rotten wood.

It is almost a case of Karma causing them to be automatically punished for their deed, as I am sure it would take more energy to light it than the energy you might recover from it!

It is no wonder that some people can make money selling unseasoned, wet, poor quality firewood if these are the sort of people who will take it.

They walk amongst us!