Design my new landy

madbopper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419154604.180870.jpg.6c2c01abaff2a944d3cc72c2fae3fc6b.jpg

If I had the time and money I would build one of these out of an old lwb G wagon and stick a modern merc diesel in it.

The chassis are bomb proof along with the gear boxes and diffs that will pull you out or up anything with out breaking down like a LR.

I had a swb base G and its performance off road was so much better than the 90 I owned despite not even having off road tyres!

[ATTACH]172532[/ATTACH]

If I had the time and money I would build one of these out of an old lwb G wagon and stick a modern merc diesel in it.

The chassis are bomb proof along with the gear boxes and diffs that will pull you out or up anything with out breaking down like a LR.

I had a swb base G and its performance off road was so much better than the 90 I owned despite not even having off road tyres!

HI MATTY looks great there mate well done thanks jon :thumbup:

[ATTACH]172532[/ATTACH]

IF anyone is interested there is a bloke on the GWOA Forum, Eddie? I think I recall, but definately from about Dublin, who is totally passionate about "G" Wagens, and has more critically "re-engined" some with success.

A project that is apparently near impossible without a LOT of electronic savvy/knowledge of MB engine/gearbox intercompatibility

I do not know him, but from following a few threads in the past, I had formed the opinion, that he was completely straight, and not having been near the Forum this good while, I recently saw someone knowledable commending his latest work.

For me as the smug-proud posessor of a 290TD,(imho opinion from the optimium period of simple efficient reliable diesel technology) all I need to do is bung Upsolute a few kid for their kit for the very common TC/IC 120BHP Sprinter engine.

It would be tempting to hack the Van bodywork off and fabricate a pick-up rear end, but this would simply be scralidge, in the circumstances.

Or take it to V Henry, the local diesel Guru, for a re-map

regards

Marcus

Edited by difflock

Just recieved my latest edition of the GWAG magazine.

Eddie Gilmartins re-built "G" Wagen features.

Fitted a 5 cyl Sassangyon motor(the same basic lump as I have in the 290TD Van) with an uprated (5.5mm to 6.0mm plungers) inj pump and intercooler /turbo etc.

Stupendous torque and 180BHP.

I intend to put our Van back on the road, in time to pop down to the Valentine's meet/rally in Wicklow.

Cheers

M