installing a log burner in a conservatory

dig-dug-dan

You ll require a twin skin flue in part to go through the polycarbonate. All I would say is don't scrimp and be tempted to buy cheap yourself, if you look carefully the cheaper stuff needs non combustible clearances of 80mm plus, which is massive compared to what a decent flue system gives. The long and short of it is that anyone can fit the system but if you want it signed off as compliant you will need to either pay building control which I believe charge 180 - 250 last I heard or a HETAS engineer. The engineer maybe cheaper to sign off around the 100 quid mark but you may struggle to find one that is willing to put their name to someone else's work bearing in mind that once signed off they are then responsible for it (to a degree)

What area are you?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You ll require a twin skin flue in part to go through the polycarbonate. All I would say is don't scrimp and be tempted to buy cheap yourself, if you look carefully the cheaper stuff needs non combustible clearances of 80mm plus, which is massive compared to what a decent flue system gives. The long and short of it is that anyone can fit the system but if you want it signed off as compliant you will need to either pay building control which I believe charge 180 - 250 last I heard or a HETAS engineer. The engineer maybe cheaper to sign off around the 100 quid mark but you may struggle to find one that is willing to put their name to someone else's work bearing in mind that once signed off they are then responsible for it (to a degree)

What area are you?

Thanks for the reply I am in hemel hempstead, herts.

the stove company have quoted for twin wall, roof braces, wall brackets etc. and i am tempted to get it black powder coated for an extra £200

The stove is £1100, and the flue system another £1500. I also need to scaffold the conservatory.

The other reason i want to do this is i have free fuel. Although i sell logs, i can burn all the stuff no one wants (like well seasoned christmas tree for example) plus this stove will take 500mm logs, so i can easily keep the bits the splitter wont do, or the mish mash of different sizes for myself!

I was wondering if there was any rule about how far the flue has to be away from an upstairs window:confused1:

Y if you want it signed off as compliant you will need to either pay building control which I believe charge 180 - 250 last I heard or a HETAS engineer. The engineer maybe cheaper to sign off around the 100 quid mark but you may struggle to find one that is willing to put their name to someone else's work bearing in mind that once signed off they are then responsible for it (to a degree)

A requirement of all the self certification schemes under building control regulations is that the work must be done by the competent person certifying the work and that means they must be registered under one of the schemes, like Gas Safe, Fensa or Hetas. It's their being able to do this that saves them the couple of hundred quid the local building control would charge (assuming the council or contractor have expertise to do so) and recoup some of the costs the scheme owners charge in this legalised pyramid selling system.

By signing it off they are taking full responsibility for the installation.

You may find you will suffer with condensation without a dedicated vent. Also will help remove unwanted gases from combustion. Lot depends on air permeability of your house.

will be easy to install a couple of vents in the dwarf wall the conservatory sits on. we get condensation now from drying clothes out there :thumbdown:

PM me if you want me to talk you through it, I am a stove retailer. Your stove supplier should also be able to advise but don't bank on that if you have used a web based company.

11kw sounds a lot for a conservatory, use Poujoulat TI flue system, its the best.

This time of year is the absolute peak busiest time install wise, most good installers are now booking work for Feb. My installer has teams working 6 and 7 day weeks at present.

No reason why you cant do it yourself but you must get it signed off as safe to use by a building inspector prior to first use. Its advisable to get the inspector on side before you commence work. You will certainly need an air vent as you are over 5.0kw, a Ryton or Black Hole 125mm vent will be fine. Some stoves have the facility to connect direct to a vent providing the wall behind it is an outside wall or there is an underground air supply. A much neater solution but more costly.

A

PM me if you want me to talk you through it, I am a stove retailer. Your stove supplier should also be able to advise but don't bank on that if you have used a web based company.

11kw sounds a lot for a conservatory, use Poujoulat TI flue system, its the best.

This time of year is the absolute peak busiest time install wise, most good installers are now booking work for Feb. My installer has teams working 6 and 7 day weeks at present.

No reason why you cant do it yourself but you must get it signed off as safe to use by a building inspector prior to first use. Its advisable to get the inspector on side before you commence work. You will certainly need an air vent as you are over 5.0kw, a Ryton or Black Hole 125mm vent will be fine. Some stoves have the facility to connect direct to a vent providing the wall behind it is an outside wall or there is an underground air supply. A much neater solution but more costly.

A

Thanks for this

Its a local company that my friend used and they worked out what he needed to buy, and was very happy. They seemed really helpful.

Yes 11kw is a lot, its a big conservatory, and i think it will heat a lot of the house too.

Sounds like a call to the council is in order monday!