installing a log burner in a conservatory

dig-dug-dan

My parents have had there Hunter herald plumbed in three times by Hetas approved fitters etc other the past 14 months and it still doesnt work!! Isn't plumbed in at present.

1st plumber was out his depth. I went to look at it after fitting, it was September time before it was needed it and told my parents it was rubbish. It was pumped in reverse and a huge radiator in the loft to dump surplus heat!!!!!!!! It actually made tank colder and blew the safety valve as soon as fire was warm.

In their frustration they got a air source heat pump fitted in June by a big "Green" company. The plumber just left site on the Friday and said "I didn't plumb the woodstove in it can't be done" They supplied a twin coil tank instead of a triple, so the heat pump and solar are back in but now the company are saying they will do it at my parents cost. They have already taken probably £15,000 or so!

It continues.

I am Jack of all trades master of none, because at least you know whats been done if you do it. I only didn't install wood stove at parents because I thought when a Hetas boy came to sign it off. He would just condemn it to give himself work. So do it properly Dan and do as much as you are comfortable with yourself.

More paperwork and jobs for the boys and lets get job done and down to pub it seems.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you will need to be a bit careful how you box it in as you have some of the flexi liner exposed distance to a combustible from this will need to be 3 times its diameter

I know but I saved a few quid probably £200 doing it that way hence why I didn't get those bits powder coated, it's just finding the time to do it, it's not bothering me at the moment as its in the corner behind the door so out of sight even when I enter the room. It needs doing but not yet it's xmas and I'll be drunk or I'll be poor probably be both :laugh1:

Is it not worth putting a burner in your living room and braking through the outside wall with a flue? It'll be cheaper

Its impossible due to the crap layout of the house. The only wall is to the garage, where there are numerous pipes and the boiler. I was going to extend the house and put one in then, but the cost of extending was eye watering.

if I put one in the conservatory and ever move, I can easily take it with me.

the conservatory has a brick wallmandntiled floor so the hearth is done!!

Its impossible due to the crap layout of the house. The only wall is to the garage, where there are numerous pipes and the boiler. I was going to extend the house and put one in then, but the cost of extending was eye watering.

if I put one in the conservatory and ever move, I can easily take it with me.

the conservatory has a brick wallmandntiled floor so the hearth is done!!

How would go about sealing around the flue when It breaks through the conservator, Silicon?

I'm just curious that's all I find these kind of things interesting

How would go about sealing around the flue when It breaks through the conservator, Silicon?

I'm just curious that's all I find these kind of things interesting

its a lead flashing to the right angle of the roof, and yes i believe you use silicone

I think if i go ahead and do this, i should document and photograph it all for you guys stage by stage!