Beavers

TreeswingerPerth

I'm sorry, just so we're clear, you're basing your argument on photographs?

And what I've read, not being privy to the inner circle of environmentalists like you obviously are that is all I can do. I didn't realise I was arguing sorry, I haven't booked an argument so I'll just bow to your obviously superior knowledge. :confused1:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I'm familiar with any inner circles. I do have a Degree in Ecology, and I do work in wildlife and habitat management some of the time. I also try to make a point of reading only peer reviewed papers when forming an opinion on this sort of thing. I am a keen shooter of many things, but I wouldn't dream of letting a muppet like Alasdair Mitchell have any influence on my thinking (Alasdair Mitchell is used for illustrative purposes only).

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't listen to the opinions of anyone with a vested interest in any subject, if you want to know the truth, look elsewhere.

Not entirely sure I would describe Ted as an environmentalist as such. More the kind of thinking forester most of us can only dream of becoming. Imagine Oliver Rackham with a 390xp.

But are they all reintroduced????????

A animal recovered through a live capture exercise last year wasn't a DNA match to any of the reintroductions or "captive" populations...........crazy to think it could have just swam here tho eh?

Private collection?

I'd rather see deer fences.

There is a massive skill in proper deer culling that requires full time Rangers / keepers to observe and count and manage , sadly with deer culling it's becoming more the norm as there isn't the money to employ people in the above professions so contract killers are brought in and shoot every thing on site... And the overall population suffers.

In a whole I don't believe in culling as more animals just move in with no hierarchy and breed like crazy wether it's foxes, badgers or deer.

I've seen keepers shoot a big dog fox and then have another 100 younger foxes move in and take its territory.

There's a time and a place but are beavers really at that point already ? I would love to see them in my back yard but there's nothing but spruce!

[ATTACH]171432[/ATTACH]

The main problem with not culling is that one animal just takes over, its like we have at work the deer have taken over and now we get little or no natural regen in the woods so they aren't only affecting other animals but the woods itself!

Yes something will probally move in and take their place but hopefully the woods will then survive for future generations.

Deer fencing!.. Tbh I think its mad to plant or expect regen on coppice or natural regen with out it.

I don't have a problem with culling if it's done properly and the gun knows what his target is and why he's shooting.

Edited by MattyF

A note from local press.

Will East Devon's beavers be saved from going to the zoo? Petitions have been launched urging ministers not to remove a family of wild beavers.

On the River Otter I understand.

I think they were released without permission.

There was one living on the axe at south chard many years ago, lived there for years.