beech x 3

scotspine1

I will tell you why it's good it's good to leave dead wood standing in clear and simple terms.

It's good for bugs and beasties.

It's good for woodpeckers and squirrels.

It's good for fungi

And ecologists like it and it's always good to keep them happy, bin working with a really fit one this week!! ;)

Now that's it, be quiet now ahhp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David. Please come back and enlighten us. I'll even take back what I said about people in comfortable public sector mushroom gazing jobs being happy to leave the issue purposefully clouded to keep themselves quietly employed.

sometimes its nice to leave deadwood, much like sometimes its nice to ride a bike round a village with no clothes on

I'm sure David's spent enough time enlightening people, both in public posts and the invaluable assistance he's provided, via private messages, to those who are studying.

If you're that interested in gaining an answer, read some of the papers and links provided, rather than badgering him for a précis on the subject. The time you've spent trying to provoke an argument could have been put to more constructive use in reading what others have provided.

Dead wood volumes good for iggly wigglies, (scarce, red data listed & threatened) ................firewood not so much.

There you go, habitat diploma 101 in less than 20 words.

Even the most HAVS inflicted saw buzzer should be able to understand that :biggrin:

Let's get Mr Pine to comment further on 'his' thread

Nice felling skills Btw

The FC up here had a phase of of sending people through their woods ringing live trees to create deadwood, given their forests are full of standing dead timber I never quite grasped the need for more.

To best my knowledge they've stopped that lunacy for the time being. As one reads about the UK deficit topping £100b per year you do wonder what these people are thinking.

I will tell you why it's good it's good to leave dead wood standing in clear and simple terms.

It's good for bugs and beasties.

It's good for woodpeckers and squirrels.

It's good for fungi

And ecologists like it and it's always good to keep them happy, bin working with a really fit one this week!! ;)

Dead wood volumes good for iggly wigglies, (scarce, red data listed & threatened) ................firewood not so much.

Thanks, both. Excellent attempts but it being good for bugs, beasties, woodpeckers, squirrels, fungi and iggly wigglies is not in dispute.

My question is, 'What's the point in doing something that's good for the bugs, beasties, woodpeckers, squirrels, fungi and iggly wigglies?'

Is there not loads of space for them in all the stuff that gets left for reasons other than "An ecologist told me I would be doing the world's bugs, beasties, woodpeckers, squirrels, fungi and iggly wigglies a disservice if I didn't leave it there."?

P.S. People think I'm getting on David's case. I'm not doing it in a nasty way.

He is considered an authority on the subject. I'm testing him. If he's as good as his reputation, he shouldn't have any problem answering.:001_smile:

Edited by AHPP

I suspect leaving monoliths was not a priority for the woodland owner David.

This was job was arranged through an arb consultant and specified by the woodland owner. By the time I became involved any suggestion of leaving the trees as monoliths was of so little significance as to be almost completely irrelevant, a decision had been made to fell the trees to ground level. Climbing bat surveys were carried out prior to felling. They were arranged prior to me being contracted to remove the trees.

I don't have an issue with leaving monos or carrying out coros et. Done it many a time. In fact I've removed so many trees in my time in treework I'd happily spend the next 20 years creating monos, wildlife snags, coronet cuts and fracture prunings if it meant even the smallest increase in wildlife.

There is some standing deadwood left on site, a large naturally occurring Beech mono, a victim of a previous storm see below.

59766bad65d90_beechmono.jpg.5ea96cc6a506fee74af38d3355f818c3.jpg