Article research - How much do you charge for a days work?

Rob D

i think pricing work slides from one end or the scale to the other , i have quoted on jobs where the client has had several really high quotes , i have quoted quite a bit less and done the job and the job makes me money but i have also gone to jobs where the client has been quoted a price that makes you wonder how the guy thats quoting that can actualy make any money . . :001_smile:

I think luck and timing has a lot to do with it... Also a lot depends on who is new starting up in the area and whether an old hand has hung up his saw. I wouldn't like to be in business within a 20 mile radius of Sparsholt college :ohmy:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, I never ask customers if they have had any other prices then try and beat them or any of that old b***ocks.

Here here..

I'm not interested in what other people charge, they may have different kit and overheads to me. I have spent a long time working out costings for my particular setup.

For me to have and maintain fairly new kit I have to charge minimum £60 per hour for me and one groundy and thats just hedge reduction work, bring in rigging down equipment the price goes up, bring in the mewp, the price goes way up

I aim for 300 quid a day for me and a groundie and chipper, less for hedge cutting. garden work/landscaping 150 a day for me, i don't really budge from these prices as there at the bottom end of the range round me. grinding priced by the inch. some people are working for the sake of it at the moment round me, day job for 2 men and chipper 200 quid, not for me thanks.

Well said mate. What's the point?

Another technique I use is when the customer is really old I quote say £150.

Then when I have done the job I tell them that it is actually £15000 and they must have misheard because they are going a bit deaf.

How I chuckle to myself as I give them a lift down to the building society!

too many people spend far to much looking at there competitors rather than watching what there own busines is doing or not doing , who cares that top it lop it and hop it are charging 175 per day for a 2 man team or that someone elts is charging 500 per day for a 2 man team , you should know what it costs you to cover all of your overheads and make money , it is different for every company IMO

Well said mate. What's the point?

Another technique I use is when the customer is really old I quote say £150.

Then when I have done the job I tell them that it is actually £15000 and they must have misheard because they are going a bit deaf.

How I chuckle to myself as I give them a lift down to the building society!

yes in your new car that has only done 200 miles in 3 years as they only had 12k in the halifax so the car is yours now aswell. cant wait to see your wee smiley face on rogue traders mark:ohmy::001_tt1:

Here here..

I'm not interested in what other people charge,

too many people spend far to much looking at there competitors rather than watching what there own busines is doing or not doing , who cares that top it lop it and hop it are charging 175 per day for a 2 man team or that someone elts is charging 500 per day for a 2 man team , you should know what it costs you to cover all of your overheads and make money , it is different for every company IMO

May as well stop the thread now then.

yes in your new car that has only done 200 miles in 3 years as they only had 12k in the halifax so the car is yours now aswell. cant wait to see your wee smiley face on rogue traders mark:ohmy::001_tt1:

Busted!

You wouldn't consider swapping your Mog for a fleet of pristine Suzuki Swifts would you mate?

Do you see any point knowing what others charge ?

As I have said before, I feel every job has a value.

When looking at work I try to work out what that value is, it is based to a large extent on what I think another firm would charge.

If you just work out your costs and ad a wage, where is the incentive to become more skilled and efficient??

Using your method of business a top climber and a poor climber will be on the same money, is this fair.

I know my day rate and profit is higher than many of my competitors, however on many jobs I am cheaper.

When my dad worked on the building sites in the 60's the highest earner on the whole site was an Irish curb layer, he worked on peace rate and made more than the site forman.