Crown reduction

Coop

That's it you see, I don't think they should have any decision, unless it's on public parks or whatever, do you think if they didn't exist everyone would immediately chop down every tree on their property? Of course not.

It's a nice number I'll grant you, driving round talking down to all and sundry, writing out comical specs for trimming sycamores, birch and willows.

If it's on your property you should be able to trim or remove without a clipboard coming out.

Hi all

Many apologies if this has been posted before, recently I applied for a application for mulitipal tree works, most of them where for 30% crown reductions because that is what I have always applied for. Had email back asking for how many feet/meters I wanted to remove?

This throw me a bit as how much do you say, and if the tree is heavy on one side do you take the amount you applied for on that side a blend everything else in?

Just wondering what the rest of you have done in the past? Guess I need to re read the tree law as this came in in 2010, even though this is the first time I have been asked for feet/meters.

Cheers

Had the same last month, well a phone call from a landscape girl/lady from council saying needed reduction a metres not percentage. My answer was did she know how high tree in question was, no was the answer, right I said the percentage I put was 25%only so how about we change that to a bit more she alright how much do you what to take off, I said 8.5 meters that's not a problem, I said it may well be as tree is only 8 meters high:laugh1: she said that it was not funny. but when they have no idea how high tree is how can they say yes to what is coming off:confused1:

That's it you see, I don't think they should have any decision, unless it's on public parks or whatever, do you think if they didn't exist everyone would immediately chop down every tree on their property? Of course not.

It's a nice number I'll grant you, driving round talking down to all and sundry, writing out comical specs for trimming sycamores, birch and willows.

If it's on your property you should be able to trim or remove without a clipboard coming out.

You should be aware of a protected tree when buying a house. If you don't like it, don't live there. Do you think the same of listed buildings?

And yes, I believe that were it solely up to the homeowner, many great mature trees would be butchered, because the leaves land on the new block paving, or the electricity bill is too high because the lights always have to be on, or whatever crap they come out with.

Had the same last month, well a phone call from a landscape girl/lady from council saying needed reduction a metres not percentage. My answer was did she know how high tree in question was, no was the answer, right I said the percentage I put was 25%only so how about we change that to a bit more she alright how much do you what to take off, I said 8.5 meters that's not a problem, I said it may well be as tree is only 8 meters high:laugh1: she said that it was not funny. but when they have no idea how high tree is how can they say yes to what is coming off:confused1:

That's funny Paul.

Mountain Man, I agree in a way and think the problem in part lies in the fact that TPO's are often applied to really crappy trees that need felling.

They should be reserved for decent trees, then they would mean a lot more.

I've seen ridiculous specs on manky old lapsed pollard pops of 2m rjs etc obviously set by TOs who have never climbed.

Oaks are particularly tricky to find decent nodal points at a set distance, and shortening oak limbs to point X is a one-way ticket to bog brush central.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You should be aware of a protected tree when buying a house. If you don't like it, don't live there. Do you think the same of listed buildings?

And yes, I believe that were it solely up to the homeowner, many great mature trees would be butchered, because the leaves land on the new block paving, or the electricity bill is too high because the lights always have to be on, or whatever crap they come out with.

No, because buildings are more important than trees.

No, because buildings are more important than trees.

Not to the TO, and unfortunately he sets the spec.

As above, the spec is not always ideal, and the TOs are far from infallible, but at least there's something in place to prevent the wanton felling or mutilating of trees that have been there long before houses or us.

Personally I think TOs are completely pointless, people should be able to do what they like with trees on their property.

Bunch of bureaucrats clogging up an already complex life.

It's a whole little industry of paperwork and meetings and BS. Followed by utterly pointless

1.5 meter reductions.

People would still want trees in their garden, and want them retained and trimmed.

Do they have TOs in France and Germany and the U.S.?

I could not agree less !

It still baffles me that most tree surgeons believe that reducing a tree is good for the tree or that it's acceptable to reduce trees without any real justifications , actually having tree officers is almost certainly what keeps the professional decent firms apart from the guys out there that are not really fussed about the rights and wrongs , I genuinely believe that every treed should be subject to L/A consent prior to works taking place , there are way to many people that are 99% driven by financial gain and not at all fussed about doing what is right for the tree .