Crown reduction

Coop

Of course it's not good for the tree, it's good for the client, who wants more light, satellite signal whatever.

News alert!!!! You are not a nurse, doctor or Ebola worker, or a crew mate on the rainbow warrior, you cut and fell trees for a living.

Also yes, I am driven by financial gain, I'm in a service industry. So are you.

You should be aware of a protected tree when buying a house. If you don't like it, don't live there. Do you think the same of listed buildings?

And yes, I believe that were it solely up to the homeowner, many great mature trees would be butchered, because the leaves land on the new block paving, or the electricity bill is too high because the lights always have to be on, or whatever crap they come out with.

Completely agree with you there joe well said

Of course it's not good for the tree, it's good for the client, who wants more light, satellite signal whatever.

News alert!!!! You are not a nurse, doctor or Ebola worker, or a crew mate on the rainbow warrior, you cut and fell trees for a living.

Also yes, I am driven by financial gain, I'm in a service industry. So are you.

Nope not a nurse,doctor or Ebola worker!!

Like many on here i class myself as an Arborist and yes I turn work down that is excessive , un necessary where ever possible . I respect my reputation and respect the good working relationship that I have with our tree officers here.

Service industry No - professional industry yes .

We're a service industry, if you don't believe me google it.

Pahahaha the inter web is evil and lies .

But being serious , the industry needs a reality check there are way too many tree surgery outfits in the uk and the stark reality is that the uk is not heavily wooded and there is a significant decline in mature - over mature trees , when they are gone there gone . It's all to easy to do what ever the customer says regardless .

Pahahaha the inter web is evil and lies .

But being serious , the industry needs a reality check there are way too many tree surgery outfits in the uk and the stark reality is that the uk is not heavily wooded and there is a significant decline in mature - over mature trees , when they are gone there gone . It's all to easy to do what ever the customer says regardless .

But if he doesn't do it someone else will...

I guess it comes down to professional pride.

For many years I lived in a Victorian housing conservation area. It had mature beautiful specimen trees. People often moaned about their individual trees but loved the overall feel of the place which is why houses there were very sought after and went for inflated prices. So yes, we all love to hate TO's but in reality they kept that place special.

To reality check that, visit many mediterranean countries with no real planning laws and see what a mess their urban trees are. Planning laws may stop me building that excessively large conservatory I so want, but they keep our selfishness within bounds to the benefit of all.

So true , I regularly have to accept that if I don't do it then the likelihood is a saw jockey will do it , but then if I can't work with the client and enable the to see why doing what they want is poor practice or even destruction of a healthy viable tree then I have to expect that they will probably opt for the saw jockey anyhow . If they go with what's acceptable and within Arboricultural good practice then usually they will accept the quote and go ahead . It doesn't happen every time but hey we can only try in the vain hope others will follow suit

For many years I lived in a Victorian housing conservation area. It had mature beautiful specimen trees. People often moaned about their individual trees but loved the overall feel of the place which is why houses there were very sought after and went for inflated prices. So yes, we all love to hate TO's but in reality they kept that place special.

To reality check that, visit many mediterranean countries with no real planning laws and see what a mess their urban trees are. Planning laws may stop me building that excessively large conservatory I so want, but they keep our selfishness within bounds to the benefit of all.

Excellently put mate.

• 2 months later...

Athens is a horror; they top orange trees, Cercis, everything. No wonder the country's broke!

Here's an example of a US pruning spec. I use < and > and ranges a lot, to allow a little flexibility but not too much! Two VERY big companies had recommended felling, but the town accepted the below spec, and paid ~400 pounds for a pruning that will last 5-10 years.

Specs should fit on a notecard to fit in workers' pockets. :001_smile:

Give Trees a Chance!

Does retrenchment pruning go beyond the ANSI A300 Tree Care Standard?

No. Retrenching is 100% within the A300, when the objective is established, the requirements or “shalls” are met, and specifications are communicated. Standard Operating Procedure:

SCOPE: An oak that is 6’ wide at the base. ~5’ of that is hollow. Extensive root damage.

OBJECTIVE: Reduce the load and the risk by retrenching the crown. Lower maintenance.

SPECIFICATIONS:

1. Remove all dead branches >1” diameter.

2. Reduce downward and horizontal segments of overextended branches, clearing the branches below by 2’-4’. Cuts <3” to upright laterals, <8% total foliage

3. Thin crowded branches back to the collars. <4% total foliage, <3” cuts

4. Reduce declining leaders 3’-6’. Smallest cut possible, near vigorous growth or buds.

5. In an area between 3’ and 20’ from the trunk, use air/water tool to make holes 18” apart, >2” wide and >12” deep. Force 50% compost/50% soil conditioner under pressure into the holes, in effect brewing compost tea on site. Mulch with 2” woodchips.

RETRENCHING HOLLOW TREES FOR LIFE 131226 tcia.docx