How to sell...

loudbarker

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the goin rate for standing? I've just had £5 accepted for 'derelict' (hate that use of the word!) ash/hazel coppice (70+yrs) but we hav to do proper dead hedge round it and I'm wondering if I've done the right thing!

£5 for that isn't bad going if your going to get some decent wood out. The dead hedging is going to be real hard work depending on how 'proper' it has to be done. I often find in neglected coppice that the trees are so drawn up you lack enough brash for good hedges for every stool.

Standing prices...i've seen £50 a tonne standing for Ash down here in the Chilterns.

£50! Not for firewood surely? We expect to get about an artic load of butts for milling, majority of the rest (150+t) logs but some nice straight poles for cleft rails and a few flatbows. Have dead hedged about six or seven blocks in the same wood, it's time consuming but enjoyable and very effective against the deer (but not so good with hares!) and we've had nightingales around for the first time in 40 odd yrs! :) and yes we have run short of tops on occasion :(

£50! Not for firewood surely? We expect to get about an artic load of butts for milling, majority of the rest (150+t) logs but some nice straight poles for cleft rails and a few flatbows. Have dead hedged about six or seven blocks in the same wood, it's time consuming but enjoyable and very effective against the deer (but not so good with hares!) and we've had nightingales around for the first time in 40 odd yrs! :) and yes we have run short of tops on occasion :(

I didn't look at the stand. Chilterns wood is just expensive I'd of thought there would be some milling butts in there but yes mainly firewood.

I've seen softwoods for £40-60 a tonne too. The stuff that was £40 a tonne was all Silver Fir and something else i saw money in at half the price but not at that. Someone cut it though, although they did it with a harvester.

I did a woodland pig husbandry course in about 2004 near hay-on-wye and was gob smacked when the guy told me a lot of the ash they felled there was bought and taken to Cornwall (I was payin £7 t roadside at the time)

About 10 years ago when i was training a lot of the soft wood we cut was given away or for a few quid a tonne. There wasn't a lot but it got hauled to down the road on a lorry none the less.

About 10 years ago when i was training a lot of the soft wood we cut was given away or for a few quid a tonne. There wasn't a lot but it got hauled to down the road on a lorry none the less.

We were thinning scots n spruce n had to stack it in neat piles of 4' lengths to rot in the wood, still was better than the owners previous method which was to fell n sned em and leave it like a giant game of dropsticks, great on the next thin in summer with 6'nettle etc!

At £60 a ton delivered + time processing + capital tied up in equipment its almost as cost efficient to buy it in from the Baltic kiln dried. Straight in, straight out in stacked crates.

I will be doing some of that this winter, got 2 of my last crates from last winter going out on Friday.

A