which woodburning stove?

Silverwood

I beg to differ, in respect of burning wood on the Morso.

We have a multifuel Morso, which indeed has the under grate draught facility.

But it does not be used to burn wood.

Simply leave it closed and open the vents at the rear, or the 2 threaded ventilation knobs on the doors.

I don't think that our Morso, the basic 1410 Squirrel will burn properly without the undergrate air control being open, or if the space under the grate is completely full with ash. I'll try just for the sake of it next time. On this stove the secondary air is right at the top of the door, it might be different if it was just above the grate.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Franco Belge, I think the Savoy II. It's multi-fuel but I've only ever burned wood on it. The draw comes in through the back. It's a cracking stove and plenty big enough (9.5kw I think). It's single door as I think they look better, plus it'll take a 13" log! Maybe 8-12 logs an evening to keep it depending on what I'm burning, but it's kicks out a lot of heat an keeps my fuel bills down! I'll try find a picture

The new Charwood Quttro control runs all the air supplies.

Wood does indeed burn from the top down, you only want air coming in above it once the stove is up and running. Smokeless fuel on the other hand burns from the bottom up and wants more oxygen than wood. Therefore keep the top air supply fully open and leave it that way, control the stove using the sir coming in under that grate.

Leave 15mm or so of ash on the grate each morning when burning wood, that protects the grate. If burning solid fuel remove all the ash on the grate. Empty the ash when the can is half full, most stoves thats daily but some of the new generation woodburners can go for 2 or 3 days.

A

I don't think that our Morso, the basic 1410 Squirrel will burn properly without the undergrate air control being open, or if the space under the grate is completely full with ash. I'll try just for the sake of it next time. On this stove the secondary air is right at the top of the door, it might be different if it was just above the grate.

When burning wood in the small Morso's (14xx), you should leave the bottom air vent (primary air supply) closed. It is meant for solid fuels (coal) only.

You may leave it open initially, to help start the fire faster, though.

See http://morso.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/72144600-1410-1440-DS-EN_UK.pdf

When burning wood in the small Morso's (14xx), you should leave the bottom air vent (primary air supply) closed. It is meant for solid fuels (coal) only.

I read that document earlier, and I couldn't see where it actually says to keep the primary vent closed. In any event I tried last night and it burns very poorly if I do that, with lots of material deposited on the glass (which cleared off once I opened the primary vent again).