Increase tractor speed limit proposal

Wood wasp

When I had my 7 style 2 seater I was on a local dual carriageway which is in a 30 limit and a Fastrac overtook me, my eye was level with his wheelnuts and I couldn't stop laughing for ages. We followed a couple of tractors on the way back from the seaside and I was pulling the trailer tent so no rush but they pulled over after a couple of miles to let the tailback go which I thought was quite good of them. If they all did that it would help relations quite a lot.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine who has been driving tractors all his life ( now in his 70s ) was pulling out of the farm yard with a large trailer on the back . He looked and it was clear so pulled out . White van man came down the hill at an estimated double the speed limit and hit the trailer in the rear quarter . My mate got done for driving without due care . Even the coppers said it was not right .

A friend of mine who has been driving tractors all his life ( now in his 70s ) was pulling out of the farm yard with a large trailer on the back . He looked and it was clear so pulled out . White van man came down the hill at an estimated double the speed limit and hit the trailer in the rear quarter . My mate got done for driving without due care . Even the coppers said it was not right .

That sounds well unfair if the van was speeding, I always think that when I get to a junction which says think bike, yes sure look out for them but if a bike comes flying over the brow of the hill at 90mph then it really is his problem to think bike.

I think they just need to be courteous to others. Followed a tractor the other day on a busy A road. In five miles I don't think he looked behind him once and didn't pull over to let some of the enormous tailback through.

Driving back from a job the other day with a load of timber with tractor bus was following me so indicated when the road was wide enough and no oncoming traffic:thumbup: it went passed and then indicated and pulled in right infront of me to let a passenger off only just managed to stop intime.:thumbdown:

Not right at all.

I get over taken while turning right all the time. Nearly had two very bad accidents because of it. Who'd of thought those little flashing orange lights on the right hand side of the trailer mean something....

Tractors on the road is two way street if you excuse the pun. Tractors need to pull in more often, its not hard to get going again in a modern tractor. More than 10 people behind you and your required to give way. Drivers need a little scene too, i've seen a 300hp+ deere come around a blind corner in a 30 zone doing best part of 40 with its implement well over the white line. Lucky for me there was a big verge to get out of the way on. The 18 year old oblivious to what he had nearly done.

Car drivers need to just have a little respect for the tractor. Also if it bothers them so much then perhaps dont go home from work through the country lanes in harvest. If its indicating its going to turn dont take this opportunity to over take. Just because the tractor can go fast doesn't mean it should in mine the suspension is the seat and my spine. So i can do 40kph but the roads dont allow me to so i wont.

the main problen with an increase in tractor speed limits isnt the tractor, its the stuff that gets attached to them.... how many farmers do you know that actually maintain there implements and trailers. thee were some tests done not so long ago about the stoping distances for tractors and a 12ton grain trailer, at 20mph, everything was fine, they stopped quite quickly, and without drama, at 30mph.......forget it, the tractor was shoved sown the road , all wheels locked, and took about 3 times farther to stop. another factor stopping an increase in speed is the speed ratings on the tyres, most are good to a max of 25mph, but increased distances at higher speeds and high loasdings cause chuncks to fly off, also the majority of equipment is not constructed to cope with speeds above 20 mph, the road traffic laws are quite clear about it, you want the perks and savings of an agricultural tractor.....you drive at a max speed of 20mph, you want to go faster....MOT's, 6 weekly checks, "o"licences, and compliance with HGV rules, Its just that so many of the "poor" farming community want there cake, and to eat it. I am all in favour of plod comming down hard on the farmers who flaunt the RTA laws, they are quick enough to jump on the rest of us for minor indescrections, so why not farmers