roping onto next tree

minty

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it all depends on the tree and how far apart, sometimes a huge bidoingy of the legs and catch the tip of another branch and pull your way in, other times a bit of rope throwy luck. if you sus which tree is best to climb first. if i am doing a big long line of tall and skinnys(say pop) i will climb the second one, do either side off me then, swing over to the next, re rig my top line and go back to the one i was on and do it and just keep working my way along like that.

Only kidding! Come down a bit, big shove off with the legs, big swing and get ready for the vice-like monkey grip on the target tree. Make sure your strop is pre-adjusted to the length required for one handed tie in.

Did it yesterday with the client (who I hadn't seen) watching. He was dead impressed with that move, kept ranting on about it and calling me Tarzan! Even got a tip!

If the trees are too widely spaced though it's too much of a faff to bother with IMO.

• 1 month later...
Ive been practicing the "slingshot'' method with a throwball and I was wondering about any other ways to do it.

Hi Michelle.We have a small range of toys at work for ropeing onto the next tree or onto long limbs of the same tree.

*We have a throwline and ball on an old trout fishing reel that has a snap hook on it, to attach to our harnesses, we can take it up with us.If you throw it over a limb that is level or slightly above you and let the ball hang about 1/2 metre,get it swinging toward you,then tug back sharply on the line, the throwball will come flying back to you.Its good for about 10-15 metres with practice.I think that this may be similar to what you refered to as the slingshot.

*We have 3 toys(tools) that you can attach to a rope,a light 3 pronged grapple(homemade),a steel hook with an eye(the eye must be like on a fish hook to work).With these 2,when you get them over a limb and dangling close to the rope ,it is then easy to hook them back around your rope and pull tight.You could then pull yourself over using a handled ascender.To disegage these two you need only to shake the rope.The other is a large catspaw which has a spliced eye.If there is a suitable tight crotch available to jam the catspaw in by pulling it tight then you could also pull yourself over on that.

*As already metioned,we also have a telescoping pole with a hook on the end for roping over limbs but it is used mostly for roping around single trees.

*If your interested,give me a call and I will loan you a cd called Working Climber by G Beranek.He has some neat tricks for this.

I saw a program ages ago about a guy studying Orangutans , he had a system involves shooting a crossbow with a line on it across to another tree, so he could move about the rain forest canopy without getting down,.

it never really explained how he tied off though, I presume he had someone on the ground helping him, but the program made it look like he just fired and zip lined away.

personaly providing the trees not too far away, do like mark says, kick off with your strop ready to swing round the tree, or get someone/ two if your a fat …. to pull the end of your line towards the next tree, one other thing I’ve done is to bundle up the end of my climbing line and chuck it over a decent branch , lower than you, on the next tree then get a groundy /or two to take up the slack, rap it round the tree once, then tell them to let of gently, and descend to the other tree:001_smile:

I'd say just use a grapple, if you cant get on with the grapple then just get your groundy to install the throwline in the next tree, come down and climb the next and not bother faffing about :001_smile:.

I did 20 trees in a day last month doing exactly that and I slept well that night