a good top handle saw please

RichieR

Apart from the stihl ms 200 which is no longer made what is a good saw? I read horror stories of the 540 and dealers who stock both husky and stihl telling me new new 201 had crap carbs to start then when they fixed that they are still gutless I am scared sh**less of spending £600 on a heap of you know what. Or is brand loyalty affecting people's opinion? Please help

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really NEED a top handle saw , myself and others I know use the smaller back handle saws and have done for many years and have no problems , they seem to be far better saws .. Ms 260 , 242 xp and 346 xp have served me very well in the past and can completely dismantle and fell most trees with just the 1 saw ..... I got so pissed off with 020 's etc in the past I just gave up !!

Yep I just about to do my 39 course and I got a lot of climbing work for my boss this winter. They cost around 600 and I got to buy the saw myself and it's a minefield when you look at the reviews. And one says their saw is great and another says they are crap

Do you really NEED a top handle saw , myself and others I know use the smaller back handle saws and have done for many years and have no problems , they seem to be far better saws .. Ms 260 , 242 xp and 346 xp have served me very well in the past and can completely dismantle and fell most trees with just the 1 saw ..... I got so pissed off with 020 's etc in the past I just gave up !!

I don't know any climbers that don't use top handles.

If you can get hold of a 200t, give it a good clean and a service (and maybe drill a hole in the exhaust) then get it. Great saw. My work mate has a 201t, and yes, the new ones have the problems sorted out. but the older ones are also good, but need "breaking in", in other words, they are good saws after a month or 2.

I haven't used the new Husky, but i hear good things

My 2 cents:

I have used 020's 200t's 201t's 192t and I own a 540xp.

I think the older saws are the best if you can get your hands on a decent one i.e ms200t. I like the 540xp, although it can b a pain to start if you don't use it often in the tree (good for dismantles but not so fun for pruning). I have also seen (only on here) how they pull themselves apart if you like throw them down onto your tool lanyard. I don't like the 201's so much, I find the power is embarrasing and the chainbrakes require alot of attention to keep them functioning. I like the 198t and this would be my second choice after the Husky, a good mid size saw, nice to use but a little undersized for larger jobs.