Average day rate for tree surgery

I know some very good tree workers who have been in the job for many years,they struggle along trying to get work in,quoting away on the full range of tree work and then calling on subbies to help them,hiring in chippers and grinders and pickers.

They struggle to keep more than a £1000 balance on their statements,run around in 10/15 year old trucks,never go on holiday,and remain below the income tax threshold.

Should they be quoting £600 a day for 2 men and chipper?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some very good tree workers who have been in the job for many years,they struggle along trying to get work in,quoting away on the full range of tree work and then calling on subbies to help them,hiring in chippers and grinders and pickers.

They struggle to keep more than a £1000 balance on their statements,run around in 10/15 year old trucks,never go on holiday,and remain below the income tax threshold.

Should they be quoting £600 a day for 2 men and chipper?

Its a lifestyle choice, if they are happy doing that then fair enough, its not for me though. I want the best for my family and working cheap is not the way to achieve that. I also want a comfortable retirement.....

In my opinion you pay peanuts you get monkeys, I would rather charge a fair price that's going to earn me money pay for my crew, kit, fuel etc and leave the customer happy with a quality job. Just charge what the jobs worth and earn some money off the top to cover all eventualities it's not bloody rocket science. You will soon find you are financially better off giving you more money to spend on man toys for your business ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Its a lifestyle choice, if they are happy doing that then fair enough, its not for me though. I want the best for my family and working cheap is not the way to achieve that. I also want a comfortable retirement.....

you sound like you have got it sorted ,work, family, money, balanced.i did too many years too cheap,and struggled. I think I have it sorted now,but life would be sweeter if someone had pointed me in the right direction earlier.thats where websites like this can really help people.

Any company not registered for VAT if they're half sensible should be charging as much as their VAT registered counterparts just because they can.

WM Tree Services

http://www.bestkenttreesurgeons.co.uk

Yes, quite right and as such would be vat reg very quickly...that unless they work a three day week or work off the books!

Steve

That is the only way of increasing rates, why should a tree surgeon earn less than a plumber or an electrician? We have more kit and invest more money than both of the other professions. Tree work is also recognised as being one of the more dangerous occupations.

That is the only way of increasing rates, why should a tree surgeon earn less than a plumber or an electrician? We have more kit and invest more money than both of the other professions. Tree work is also recognised as being one of the more dangerous occupations.

tree work isnt that dangerouse its some of the folk doing it that are dangerouse imo :biggrin:

I fully agree, we need to professionalise the domestic tree market but don't know how we would achieve that objective.

Not sure what you mean by that? Does that mean all work outside the domestic market is professional?

If you are in it for yourself you charge top dollar, if you can't provide the service to match drop your price until you can charge top dollar. Lifestyle junkies don't do the rest of us any favours, like the retired brigade who take up gardening for nothing an hour. Charge what the rest charge and have a decent holiday instead of making everyone else drop their prices.