Who has a swivel on their bridge?

openboater

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a rock exotica swivel on my harness. i chose the rock exotica because the eyes where bigger and the crab can move around through it easier, it doesnt catch on the gate.

i have put it directly onto the bridge, so its no further away than just a crab on the ring on the bridge. i climb on a prussic and dont find it twists up any more than befor. i do find it help alot once in the crown, you can turn, pass around the trunk and turn round and not have the mainline twist up.

I've been in two minds about getting one for a while and this thread hasn't helped me decide. I guess it'll be a case of trial by fire really?

Just give it a go may be before you buy try one out. Anyone you know got one? New ones are around the £35 to £45 Mark. Don't think bout buying second hand.:thumbup:

I find a swivel is great when using my lanyard in a 'single leg' fashion, and gives some sort of an optimal 'rope in, rope out' angle with a spiderjack, but if your rope starts twisting it's a total nightmare.

Had a small petzl swivel and the burr on the inside of the ring tore my bridge apart, had to file it down which seemed a little wrong. Small dmm swivel is much better however you can't fit the gate of a krab through it, which makes it not-so-great with a spiderjack.

I've gone back to a ring...

When I used a spiderjack I just left the crab on the swivel all the time, even had a beal pinch to stop the crab sliding around the swivel which I loved with the spiderjack, it really helps the self tending

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I have a pair of swivel krabs on my Treeflex, absolutely indispensable! Would go out of my mind without them.

Not sure about swivel but would like to add more rings. Question re Treeflex which I have.. can I just undo the little D connectors holding the bridge and if so do I just crank them back up or are they fixed with addesive ?? Not sure how undoing them affects conformity etc Also can you get chest straps to convert treeflex to full body

Not sure about swivel but would like to add more rings. Question re Treeflex which I have.. can I just undo the little D connectors holding the bridge and if so do I just crank them back up or are they fixed with addesive ?? Not sure how undoing them affects conformity etc Also can you get chest straps to convert treeflex to full body

The bridge is held on by those two little shackles. They have a nylock-type locking ring inside them. My guess would be that if you take this on and off a few times you wold marginally increase the possibility of it unscrewing itself. But you'd probably still need a pair of pliers to do it. I have had mine on and off a couple of times, but when last I renewed the saddle I renewed the shackles too, just for overkill safety.

As for using it as a full body harness, it appears to be designed to take the upper part for this but I have no interest whatsoever in such a thing. After all, chest harnesss are intended for helping fall arrest, whereas arb harnesses are meant for work positioning in the 'sit' position. I just can't imagine a fall arrest use, unless you're going up in Mewps. Which I would only do as a last resort because consider it safer in small to midsize trees to be working from a top anchor than from a basket. I can't actually remembe the Mewp requirment but I have a vauge recollection that a 500mm max fal is tolerable and tha this can be achieved in a Mewp with a short lanyard.

I hope this helps.