RB44 project, conversion to suit my work requirements.

TotalTreeCall

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the RB44 was in service for some time, most of the "problems" that seem to be talked about are operator errors, brake problems, yes when you leave a vehicle siiting in a yard for 6 months at a time, of course your going to get problems, use it and there fine, pulling/ diving under braking...the vehicle is fitted with leaf springs, brake hard and of course its going to squirm about, its a inherant trait with leaf springs, too many of the grunts that were using them were comming from fwd control landrovers and smaller, and just were not familiar with the diffrent handling of the vehicles, there are 1000's of renault/dodge 50's out there with no problems, vans, tippers, busses, etc, the RB 44 is a good start for an excellent arb vehicle, pto's hydraulics, and linkages are all retrofittable, and there different enough to get you noticed by joe public

Fair one! Complaining about kit is profession within a profession for the army!

So after all that time and effort do you think it is worth it to be able a couple more wood chips than a Transit.?

I would want a lot more payload for the hassle of running one of those machines. :001_huh:

I thought exactly the same thing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

the rb44 was never available as a 7.5 tonne, that variant was a dodge 50, the parts arent interchangable as the rear axle is a lot beefier than the rb44, be aware that the front axles were unique to RB, as are the transfer cases, everything else is straight dodge comerciall

I thought I read on one of the threads on here that someone had two military RB's in their yard and that one of them (or both) were already 7.5 ton rated oj the plate, maybe he was looking at the train weight?

I have been told by Greg Wells from dodge50.co.uk that you can fit the heavier rear axles and springs to an RB (probably using the Renault/Dodge parts as you say) and uprate to 7.5 tons (he actually did it for a tree surgeon with a RB that had a stretched chassis and an integrally mounted chipper and a tipper etc..

I like the conversion and the build pics . Although the chipper's hopper looks a little high as stated by another member . Sore shoulders after a day feeding at that height ? Or have I missed something . Nice build :thumbup1:

Thanks White noise ;-)

Yeh the chipper is only a 5" camon c250 petrol, and is mainly just there to make the vehicle MOT exempt etc, as is the three point linkage on the back. I will use the chipper for small jobs and it can be moved and mounted on the linkage on the back if required, but will mainly use a bigger chipper which can tow behind as normal, and then when I have the money to invest in a bigger chipper, I can get a PTO chipper to run of the gearbox of the truck also tow behind etc...

Not sure if the take off on these were ever intended to run anything requiring the amount of tork a chipper will as most had only a hydraulic pump or oversized alternator fitted.

I'd be wary of doing this unless you have found someone who has and proved it works and the gear box is up to it.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Not sure if the take off on these were ever intended to run anything requiring the amount of tork a chipper will as most had only a hydraulic pump or oversized alternator fitted.

I'd be wary of doing this unless you have found someone who has and proved it works and the gear box is up to it.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

I agree with that but there is a PTO gearbox that will take the hammer.

Dodge made a remote PTO gearbox that drove a hydrovane compressor big enough to run a jack hammer. It would do a small chipper easily