UK Arb Industry

MOG

I don't want to sound the same, but iv always wanted to go to a comp and watch or compete and I just never ever know when they are on don't even know when all the shoes are on eather, I do think a arb calendar on this site would be a beneficial addition

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even as a climber with interest in all things trees, its often painfully boring watching a climbing competition for any length of time, and from my experience most of the spectators seem to be made up of WAGS. here lies the key I think. Make it more exciting for the spectators which will draw a bigger crowd, which will in turn draw more revenue leading to a bigger comp, with bigger prizes, and a bigger turn out.

Now someone just needs to work out how to make it more exciting for spectators!

I've got my own views on the whole comp scene as well.

I'll have a ramble later on after my spag bol.

Have a few beers fella. Make it more interesting.

17 people is pathetic for a national championships!!! NZ has 4 million people and the regional events get 30-35 people climbing at least, and there are 4 regionals befor eth national event. Perhaps the smaller community gets behind it better as more close knit, get more family events on the day( kids climbing etc) use local media to get the public watching. I dont know but 17 climbers is shameful.

BUT HUGE CONGRATS MOGGY BRO!!!!!!!

i had a great time at the UK and I comp it was mint comp. but man what a shameful show out. there was only 17 people in the Comp and not enough supporters either. really shame its going this way. Arbcamp was nothing, nothing happen. the venue was amazing, the trees where awesome but where were the people? i understand the comps are not for everyone, but these comps do help push new gear, new ideas, training, keeping in touch, contact, drinking, camping, goodtimes, etc etc.

this is also one of our few ways of promoting arboriculture and the professionalism required to undertake the job to the wider public. makes me pretty worried in the way it is going in the UK, i think it is real ashame.

i would love some other thoughts on this topic?

I knew it was on, but the last minute change of venue and minimal info was I bit misleading. I didn't see any info posted on here, the biggest arb networking site in the UK (I may have missed it though). If the pro's didn't know it was on, how can the general public be expected to know?

You mention it being a good place for gear and technique knowledge. The ISA are pretty backwards in their thinking on SRTWP, possibly one of the biggest revolutions/advancements in arb in recent years, which seems to set quite a few against them in the first place. Across the pond there have been climbers boycotting events because of this.

I'm not expecting the ISA to put DdRT and SRTWP head to head but maybe if they got their heads out their behinds there'd be a bit more interest in their events.

I'd have been there this year if I didn't have other things to deal with, I'd like to have a crack at it. Next year if I see it advertised with enough notice, I'll make the effort.

Even as a climber with interest in all things trees, its often painfully boring watching a climbing competition for any length of time, and from my experience most of the spectators seem to be made up of WAGS. here lies the key I think. Make it more exciting for the spectators which will draw a bigger crowd, which will in turn draw more revenue leading to a bigger comp, with bigger prizes, and a bigger turn out.

Now someone just needs to work out how to make it more exciting for spectators!

Have two ropes, comp climber has to climb up 1 and down the other. BUT, the one they climb up is soaked in petrol or filled with firework gunpowder.... set light to the end when they are half way up!!! :sneaky2:

Or hire out BB guns or bows & arrows to the spectators. (Arrows could have them rubber suctions caps on that you get in them kiddies kits, I suppose!!). Then it would be a case of "on your marks, get set, GO/FIRE"! Be a right laugh after a few scoops in the beer tent.... :lol:

Sorry, I don't have any serious suggestions... :rolleyes: