Hong kong accident

martwizz

The guys on the ground held the rope fast, it put a fair old bend in the stem before giving up what was an uneven fight with the lack of a pulley and all.

When the rope let go the stem whipped the poor bugger like a top, his saw lanyard was a nice long one and allowed the saw to get maximum acceleration before it bashed him in the ribs (twice)

All in all badly planned, under equipped and badly executed, its a great example in how quickly you can het out of your depth in tree work

Hope the poor bugger was OK

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's one lucky fella, could have ended a lot lot worse; a rag doll springs to mind.

In my opinion the top was way to big to carry a snatch like that; he should've gone up another few meters and made it a lot small, the rope looks pretty small too in terms of diameter.

Hope the guys ok, probably a few cracked ribs from the flying chainsaw, ouch.

Poor sod, easy to judge someone that went wrong after the event. Personally I think he should have gone higher and reduced it more and taken more off the top. Way to much weight to drop and snatch but that's just my opinion. I do hope he is ok. A scary moment like that stays with you

It looks to me that he felled the top across his own ropes (a second anchor point in an adjacent tree). The longer lines acted like a bowstring, becoming tense under the load of the falling top and pulling the climber round the tree before suddenly releasing as the top rolled off the line. Twang! If he had just used a strop and a backup strop on the pole it would not have happened. Moral: Don't fell stuff on your climbing lines it inevitably ends with a brown trouser moment.