New Stihl online policy

Stihl dealer in Scotland

"My time is so precious".

So is mine mate, and that's why I ain't doing your warranty at the drop of a hat!!

With 3 or more people depending on you being there on site I think it is ...and as for the complaint about form filling ...usually after a hard days graft and a belly full of saw dust it will be all we do once home from work , more planning apps more invoices quotes and forms on forms ... so the less time I spend in saw shops dealing with cretins who think I owe them some thing as they are an almighty stihl dealer the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"provide a rapid and efficient repair service - absolutely not (see earlier comments about warranty repairs going to the back of the queue, an attitude which I find disgraceful in a customer facing business btw).".

Don't twist my words buddy. This applies to warranty repairs when the product is NOT purchased from ourselves.

Again, as I did earlier lets put it in to context you can understand. A customer asks you to quote for a job. You are "too expensive" They then ask someone else, that person in question makes a total horses arse of the job. You are then asked to go and clear the mess up but you are busy with regular customers you have mad a commitment to. They are less important right?. They go to the back of the queue.

Mate, I don't understand why you've joined this forum, I can understand you wanting loyal customers, but let's say I'd been contracted to work around the area your dealership is in and one of my saws were down, would you stick it at the very back of the queue because I hadn't purchased it from you initially? If so, that's pretty poor and will give you a poor rep.

Secondly, in the time you've been a member on here, you've made one useful contribution, one irrelevant post and the rest have been stirring this seething mess called the stihl policy. Do you really think as a business plan it's wise to piss off this many professionals and/or dealers? Just remember, everything is traceable...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

"provide a rapid and efficient repair service - absolutely not (see earlier comments about warranty repairs going to the back of the queue, an attitude which I find disgraceful in a customer facing business btw).".

Don't twist my words buddy. This applies to warranty repairs when the product is NOT purchased from ourselves.

Again, as I did earlier lets put it in to context you can understand. A customer asks you to quote for a job. You are "too expensive" They then ask someone else, that person in question makes a total horses arse of the job. You are then asked to go and clear the mess up but you are busy with regular customers you have mad a commitment to. They are less important right?. They go to the back of the queue.

I wasn't twisting your words - I quoted you in full in a previous post and I believe I took the essence of your meaning in my post. I think I fully understand your point of view, I just happen to disagree with it.

From my perspective, as an authorised dealer, you are the public face of the brand. Alongside the privileges that brings come certain obligations. This is the whole supposed point of a dealer network rather than an open market.

When a customer buys the brand's product, and it goes wrong, they feel aggrieved (understandably, who is going to be happy with a faulty product which is costing them time, money and inconvenience?) At that point, it is -your- fault because you are face they can talk to and it really doesn't matter where they bought it. You represent the brand and how you respond to them colours their opinion of the brand going forward. It's a close equivalent to the person who works in a call centre and has to deal with people who have been passed through endless options and kept on hold for 20mins - it's not the fault of the person you eventually get through to but understandably by that point the customer is frustrated and you are on the receiving end.

If you are polite, non-committal about the cause until identified but listen to their opinion and don't presume it's their fault, ultimately react in a timely fashion then you reinforce their view of the brand as professional and offering good service. If you take a negative attitude then it harms the brand - 'their dealers are useless, they just can't be bothered'.

Don't get the impression that I don't understand that it is frustrating, but in my view, delivering service with a smile is part of the deal which any authorised dealer (voluntarily) signed up to and it is wrong to accept the advantages without accepting the costs. No, it doesn't pay, but it's part of the price.

Alternatively, would you too prefer the arrangement where there is no such thing as an authorised dealer so that you don't have to meet this obligation, but in exchange you would then be in free competition? I know I would.

Alec

" but let's say I'd been contracted to work around the area your dealership is in and one of my saws were down, would you stick it at the very back of the queue because I hadn't purchased it from you initially? If so, that's pretty poor and will give you a poor rep."

No mate, this happens all the time. We have had a few contractors from Glasgow and the south west in the area for weeks. I have replaced clutches and ignition modules ect the same day for them(on 2 occasions while they wait)(It's also on the shelf). I am talking about customers who come to me for a price, go elsewhere, then expect a turn around warranty service.

Years ago I looked at setting up a warranty cover for a chinese company ( not chainsaws)

UPS and similar offer a global collection / delivery service at quite reasonable cost - we were looking at sending failed components straight back to designers so they coud improve quality of product

So no reason why you cannot have a purchase direct from the manufacturer with local guys doing the maintenance and warranty repairs

Local guy will then depend on his quality and speed of repair, so he will work like hell at providing good service ( no putting you at back of the queue)

Chinese manufacturers have brand new top of the range equipment, So they will be manufacturing good quality kit .....

I think writing on wall for Stihl and Husky ........longterm

the writing IS on the wall for stihl and husky, as more and more of there saws go electronic and cant be user serviced, the profesionall user will move away ...to echo, makita, and anyone else who will still produce a user servicable pro saw