Daft and irritating terminology used in this industry

Goaty

But!

That really means, everything I just said is irellevant or lies - now I'll say what I mean.

I can understand what you are saying but - I can't really.

I used to work in an ofice environment where people used phrases like

I'll diary you in

We'll touch base

Imagineering

I'm glad to be working with people who are genuine and not trying to impress with crap phrases all the time

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely! (sorry Dean)

The "going forward" expression is my pet hate, and has a lot to answer for in my humble opinion. Nothing wrong with a bit of staying in the same place from time to time. I would go so far as to say that with a lot of things in the modern world, a concerted effort to "go backwards" might not always be a bad idea.

:thumbup:

I believe the English language as spoken by many Americans has devolved into many meaningless phrases and made up words. I find in public most people under 25 texting away with one another about god knows what, yet when one ask the same persons to explain what they mean about a topic of discussion the response will vary from "say what "

or perhaps another favorite would be " I have no clue". At least the latter response is honest for what it's worth. Very scary to think technology has caused this collapses of the

spoken word. I especially note this when I talk to people on the phone. Some people I have spoke to really have a difficult time expressing themselfs during a simple conversation.

Funny how I can think back to the scene from the movie Airplane where the airline stewardess is trying to communicate with One of the passengers and Barbara Billingsly from Leave it to Beaver not only speaks Jive but has the final say leaving the Two passengers wondering what just happened!.

easy-lift guy

A few ones of my pet hates;

"Frickin" (either swear or not!)

"Yeah Baby" (mostly used by wanna be americans or todays youth)

"Ringfenced" (some kinda power word used by washed out yuppies)

"sure" (usually used when agreeing with what you have said, why not use the word "yes"?)

"Miirrrr" (American for "Mirror")

I could go on..........

Erm,

Come to think of it wor Anglo Saxon forebearers had the art of clear spoken communication "totally sussed, like!"

Any word longer than 4 letters was unnecessary

Specially when backed up at swordpoint.

You get my point?

like!

Talking of four letter words, swords, points and aggression reminds me I have a service visit in Croydon next week.

As a far eastern import to this fair (?) Isle, I continue to be annoyed by the use of the word "dike" when one means ditch.

A dike is a body of earth to defend against water, often the creation of one would result in there being a ditch beside one....

Think about it, little Dutch boys put their fingers in dikes to save the country, not just dangle them in some water.

Maybe should of called the thread. Annoying words you hate to hear. For that matter "chillax" and blah blah..... lol! its habitually put in everywhere eg.

" My grandad died, I can't go to work today, LOL!!!!!"

I do use the smilie on here but to show Im amused!