What log sizes do you do?

Woodworks

I am not in the trade, just a happy wood burner. I watched a vid on youtube recently where a bloke has worked in the woods for most of his working life, he stated that he cuts his logs etc into 36 inch lengths, when he gets home he then cuts them into 9 inch lengths so each one yeilds 4 pieces. I have a Dunsley 5 and it can take a 12 inch log but smaller is better, i would rather have shorter lengths than have the hassle of finding long logs which have to be carted around and then re sized to fit, Dave

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went small with the logs and the result was small customer base so I'm going back to chunky for next season and they can split them smaller as needed.

The processer is set to c.9 inches, this size seems to fit most stoves. I've had some years of getting a lot of orders for larger logs eg: 15-18" but at the moment only 1 customer asks for 18", no 2 years are ever the same so I find planning ahead pointless, no orders at all this year for 'dolls house 'size logs, other years have had lots... most of our loads contain logs of various widths, smaller logs start a fire, and larger ones keep it in, I think most people appreciate that.

The processer is set to c.9 inches, this size seems to fit most stoves. I've had some years of getting a lot of orders for larger logs eg: 15-18" but at the moment only 1 customer asks for 18", no 2 years are ever the same so I find planning ahead pointless, no orders at all this year for 'dolls house 'size logs, other years have had lots... most of our loads contain logs of various widths, smaller logs start a fire, and larger ones keep it in, I think most people appreciate that.

You mention that no two years are the same and this my concern. Last year lots of folk who wanted short logs (sub 8') this year lots of people after 16" logs for wood fired ranges. Sold all our personal supply for the 16" logs and running our heating to keep customer happy :001_rolleyes:

Nice to have people wanting 16" as a lot less work but useless to those with smaller stoves if the customers source elsewhere.

All 9" unless specified . I find that all new stoves recently fitted seem to require smaller logs ie up to 9" max

The newer designs of stove for highly insulated home want a max 200mm log.

This will create issues for quite a few processing machines as they can only cut to 250mm.

A

Small customer base, so usually know the specified length and cut accordingly. As to width, it just gets split:

over 3" to 7" dia. gets halved

7" to 12" dia. get quartered

over 12" dia. split by three-four cuts, depending on amount of twist.

By degrees, cutting takes little time. Extraction can take longer than expected. But processing takes the longest, (unless you're making hurdles in slippery conditions).

10inch is the preferred size around here we do other sizes cut from billits that range from 6inch up to 20 inch they incur an extra £10 a cube which covers the extra on cutting the bigger sizes but not the smaller ones.

You charge more for large logs:001_huh: Less cuts and easier handling is my thinking and was wondering about selling them for less but maybe not now :thumbup: