Running costs of a log splitter

SamWhiting12

I have a screw splitter (home made) powered by a 20hp Briggs and Stratton V-twin. It generally costs about £0.80 per cubic metre in fuel costs (more if splitting tougher timber - I'm on poplar at the moment), based on it taking 30 minutes to split a cubic metre. It can be quicker than that though - with a labourer cutting the discs, loading the table and perhaps axe splitting the odd large round in half, I can do a cubic metre in under 20 minutes. Depends on the wood though.

Jonathan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah great cheers for the replies, they are very helpful.

I didn't realise that the petrol log splitters were that thirsty. Ill have to find out the wattage on the one I am looking at getting and compare the running costs to the petrol version.

Or eat more Weetabix in the morning :laugh1:

well

i reckon on £15/bag

£45/t

£23/m3

and have learnt theres no shortcuts with wood, no matter what the scale. 50 or 500t

Hello All!

I agree with the above. The costing shown is far from the actual costs so a quick breakdown is shown for the newbies to the game. Softwood timber when produced is between £80-90 not including general company overheads ie accountants , insurance etc.

£40 x 25 tonnes = £1000 (wood costs inc delivery Forestry commission contract)

3 days labour - 3 men £100 a day = £900

Diesel / oils / fuel = £75

Machine costs allowing depreciation / servicing £200

Total £2175 / 25 tonnes = £87 tonne GREEN logs

£2175 / 50 cubic metre cages = £43.50 cm3

(this can vary dramatically but bare minimum calc is you will always get 50 1m3 cages from a wagon load - max is 65)

Hardwood I would allow 150-160 per tonne ( I can't be bothered breaking it down) :-)

Prices obviously differ to everyone depending on set up but these prices are what I work on. I am visiting Brecon to see the demo tomorrow and will drop a post afterwards. I do know of a similar outfit currently being set up with no deposit needed and lower KW requirements.

There are good and bad points to every new venture and Log pro shouldn't be slated. I've spoken to Danielle from the company and they sound a professional outfit and obviously spent a lot of money researching and setting it up. They are a business and not a bloody charity! Off course they will make money selling a product ..... Funnily enough that's called business. I think for those who can afford it, it's not a bad deal maybe a little step on the RHI requirements but over all pretty fair and they definitely need to look at the cost of running it! If you can't afford 5k outlay in a bond which is fully refundable, to be fair you must a very small outfit. In supplying a kiln this cheap they will be helping the proper firewood merchants like myself and many of you on here, in getting rid of cowboys who sell wet wood for a quick buck. Most people don't know about burning suitable wood in their stoves and personally think it will be another 2 years before everyone is up to speed with it all. I think log pro will be suitable to the mid range 500t a yr semi professional producer and not for the likes of mr tom dick and Harry down the road trying to build their own. Remember premium products premium prices!

I have been involved in firewood for nearly 20 yrs and professionally 5 yrs so hope my comments carry some advice. I understand people are struggling for timber and stillages such as IBC units. If this is the case please call me on 07584624394 as I supply both all over the UK.

Wish you all the best

Harry Barker - Welsh Woodland Firewood. N Wales

Ah great cheers for the replies, they are very helpful.

I didn't realise that the petrol log splitters were that thirsty. Ill have to find out the wattage on the one I am looking at getting and compare the running costs to the petrol version.

Or eat more Weetabix in the morning :laugh1:

Looks like a 3Hp motor so 2 237.09961 watts x's, say 16p per Kw = 35.8 pence per hour .

What you may have to consider, while an electric splitter would be cheaper to run per hour, a petrol one may be faster so split more wood in the same amount of time.

slim

I average 5/6 ltrs a day petrol running a 11hp honda gx340 with a single stage pump but dont have it running hard revs no need to for my own logburner i,am just a plodder

also have a green leather sofa to rest on in my log shed set up watching the birds on my feeders in the shed roof its nice to just switch off and take nature in sometimes with a brew on my little stove got it made lol