pick up truck but whuch one?

Ian Clarke

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers are good...

I'm angling for one as it ticks all the boxes for me. I don't have much trouble with vehicles, Blown head gasket killed my Subaru and a CV joint on the alfa 164 are the only things I can remember stopping me.

Had employees break plenty though.

I had two LRs from 1980-1995 and 1997- current which never let me down, still got the LPG 110 which will have to go but is still a workhorse.

I want it for business. And to be a jack of all trades.

it won't be towing everyday. But it needs the guts to be able to tow.

I want a double cab to have space for other people or kit.

I helped a mate get his Isuzu out of a pickle and it had electronic diff locks rather than mechanical.

should I go for something older with less miles or newer with same miles??

I'm in the same boat, but with a 5k budget.

Been looking at Rangers and Navaras, has anyone got an opinoin of the nissan?

Seen one with a 2.0L engine! seems a bit small for towing

An old adversary's son had no end of trouble with his 06 plate one, sorted that by front ending it and it has sat in his yard for a year while they decide what to do with it!

Anyone have an opinion on the IsuzuDMax?

I have an 08 ranger which I have had from new. It has been a good motor for me with not any major issues apart from a self inflicting one!! I have done about 115k which includes towing the 1200kg schliesing a lot. Not bad off road, same as any other of these types, hi-lux, l200 etc, though does not have elec diff lock. I also had an 06 ranger which was probably a better motor work wise/built, but not nearly as comfortable to drive. The 08 one is much better on fuel, with less revs at same speed. If I was to choose between the 2, I would go for the 08 but any sensible person might go for the 06.

I would steer clear of the Navara's.

had my ford ranger 54 plate from new, x demonstrator, its got 91k on it, towed at most 2 dozen times , its a rock! no problems, the usual rod end rubbers wearing, but cheap to replace, pulls the transit crewcab out now and again when stuck, if they made the same model today I`d buy one tomorrow. starts first time everytime, never lets me down, delivers 1.2 m3 of logs, I can sleep in it (got hard top).and gets the lucal mill on it! 10/10 in my eyes. and Ive had p100`s , peugeot 504`s. etc.....

After the last couple of weeks anything not made in Europe would be top of my list. Hilux is very good but if its the D4D engine before 2008 make sure its had the injector washers changed and oil pickup checked on recall. I think they made a revised injector but they are £700 ea