Stupid Stihl petrol cap

urbandekay

This debate could go on a while. My experience says groundies wasted more time and oil fiddling with the newer stihl caps to losing no time with a good old thread. Not broke don't fix IMO :-)

Hi, I absolutely agree 100%

& yes, despite observing the damm thing under a magnifying glass after the first load of oil down my trousers to learn the inner workings of this ill spawned thing, today I once again have to fiddle with it ...

Yes, I understand fully how it works,

No it isnt a Chinese copy but wonder if they produce ones that work

No the tank isnt full, as I always like to leave an air gap

& being an engineer of sorts Im quite dexterous & my hands wernt cold

If this design was any good, it would be copied far & wide like the fuel filler for a vehicle, but its not.

Im not buying anything else with that design of cap.

N

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure yours is a genuine Stihl??? and not a Chinese copy?????

What your describing sounds terrible, but I've been using the new caps since they first came out and have never had an issue, IMO they are a huge step forward, no need to keep a combi spanner with the fuel, no wear to the caps where the screwdriver has to be applied.

They are fantastic :thumbup:

I have to remind myself that this is an arborist site on occasion. If it is on your personal equipment, and you baby them working in people's neighborhoods, they work fine for a long while. When you start to use your saw in work like logging or on a crew or a landing, they do not last. Mine failed on a saw long before the chinese had a replacement on offer. I am not a climber or arborist; in such a case, they should last. In fact, I think they are great on small saws and topping saws. But for work saws and crew saws, it is a step backwards.

The saw is either robust, or it isn't. There is no 'well, be smarter with it' nonsense when it comes to work equipment. It can either take the bumps, or it can't. If it doesn't, you go with equipment for your crew that can. In any case, when is it smarter when you have to go with flippy caps because you can't figure out how to use a screw cap? How can ya say folks shouldn't be running saws if they can't understand a flippy, and then turn around and complain about a screw cap? I am still laughing for that.

It's not that I won't ever use a Stihl - I own one and love it. I would just prefer it didn't have gimmicks that failed you and stuck to being a strong work saw first instead. Flippy caps are an answer to a problem that never existed. That is the most frustrating part. The reason these threads keep popping up is because there is a problem in the design. Expect to see more in the future until Stihl has a fix. They are on their second fix so far. So, we'll see how it goes.

I've never used one. How do they compare to e.g. the caps on my 550XP - screw in with a flippy lid to make it easier to break/make the seal? Never had a problem with the Husky ones... ;-)

HI SSC the STIHL ones are ok on my 361 it the early ones but on my 461 it the new ones with a black mark on there so it helps people to get it right to line the caps up there easy to use :thumbup:thanks jon :thumbup:

They really are quite simple to use...you push them in the hole, give it a quarter turn and they lock, simple as that....they do not come undone when done correctly.

Problem seems to come when people don't push them all in the way in and then turn, resulting in the mechanism rotating but not locking in...its really quite obvious when this has happened as you can feel a wobble in the cap...at which point you simply have to take it out, up end it, and rotate the mechanism back to neutral with your other hand. Some of the posts on this thread are unbelievable...how people can get their knickers in such a twist about something so trivial is beyond me

I have to remind myself that this is an arborist site on occasion. If it is on your personal equipment, and you baby them working in people's neighborhoods, they work fine for a long while. When you start to use your saw in work like logging or on a crew or a landing, they do not last. Mine failed on a saw long before the chinese had a replacement on offer. I am not a climber or arborist; in such a case, they should last. In fact, I think they are great on small saws and topping saws. But for work saws and crew saws, it is a step backwards.

The saw is either robust, or it isn't. There is no 'well, be smarter with it' nonsense when it comes to work equipment. It can either take the bumps, or it can't. If it doesn't, you go with equipment for your crew that can. In any case, when is it smarter when you have to go with flippy caps because you can't figure out how to use a screw cap? How can ya say folks shouldn't be running saws if they can't understand a flippy, and then turn around and complain about a screw cap? I am still laughing for that.

It's not that I won't ever use a Stihl - I own one and love it. I would just prefer it didn't have gimmicks that failed you and stuck to being a strong work saw first instead. Flippy caps are an answer to a problem that never existed. That is the most frustrating part. The reason these threads keep popping up is because there is a problem in the design. Expect to see more in the future until Stihl has a fix. They are on their second fix so far. So, we'll see how it goes.

Hi

I 100% whole heatedly agree with you

N

Both types are cr@p. The screwdriver ones are killed by idiots (four in four weeks, I just don't know how I can explain it to him any better!) and the flip ones take too long to check and are a nightmare if you overfill (it happens, don't pretend it doesn't!)

Essentially, neither are 'idiot proof'. And if it's not your personal saw, that's going to be problem, as wyk says.

The 'raised grip' caps as fitted to my FS-70s and BG-86s are lovely, and I hope they become standard across the range. So quick and easy even with gloves.

I think the has to be an issue with some people damaging the caps by not fitting them correctly.

I've had at least 7 different saws with the new caps and never had a single issue.

They are not slow or fiddly, you simply put them in the hole at the correct position, push firmly and twist.

They really are quite simple to use...you push them in the hole, give it a quarter turn and they lock, simple as that....they do not come undone when done correctly.

Problem seems to come when people don't push them all in the way in and then turn, resulting in the mechanism rotating but not locking in...its really quite obvious when this has happened as you can feel a wobble in the cap...at which point you simply have to take it out, up end it, and rotate the mechanism back to neutral with your other hand.

You could've kept shtumm about that. I like these threads.