Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Could be possible with a CNC pipe bender.

Anyone got one in the shed?

Should be easy to get some made, trouble will be minimum run of 100.

H-A

I've got this manual bender I use for making roll cages and wishbones....think the die I have for wishbones is 3/4", that'd be about right for a full wrap handle? The bend radius I've got might be a bit big though.

M32_Bender_Feature__Manual(4).jpg

This is a bit more complicated than ya might first think. You could go with a big bore kit. But, none are OEM, and some are much better than others. You can go with a bigger carb - but again you need to know what you are doing and what you are going with. Some carbs will have to be modified to work with some saws(like in the case of an 044 carb on a 361, etc). Few saws benefit from a larger carb without good port work first. There are a couple of guys state side that do piston and cylinder mods, but some of them prefer to only sell to folks they know have a clue what they are doing. In some cases, you won't be saving much money, if any, over sending in your saw or taking a modded saw from them.

The easiest first mods to do are to open up your muffler some and enrichen the adjustments screws a bit. This alone often adds much better torque and throttle response.

I am considering importing 77cc BB kits and porting them and making them available. But the problem there lies in whether you can trust the customer to install them correctly. On some saws, like the Husqvarna 365/372 series, some folks do not reinstall the intake boot right and end up with an air leak that eventually kills their ported P&C. Some guys are crap at tuning, and burn their saws out or block them up. So there's plenty that can go wrong and come back at you. If I sell a ported saw to someone, I make sure they have my contact info and spend time with them explaining and showing them how to treat the saw for tuning, etc.

Even so, you have to expect some to come back to you for further work, or complete reworking, whether the saws fault, yours, or the users. When you mod a product, it is always your responsibility afterwards. You do this work, not because it makes you rich(coz it won't), but because you love it and you want others to enjoy it. It's not a lot different than art.

This is a bit more complicated than ya might first think. You could go with a big bore kit. But, none are OEM, and some are much better than others. You can go with a bigger carb - but again you need to know what you are doing and what you are going with. Some carbs will have to be modified to work with some saws(like in the case of an 044 carb on a 361, etc). Few saws benefit from a larger carb without good port work first. There are a couple of guys state side that do piston and cylinder mods, but some of them prefer to only sell to folks they know have a clue what they are doing. In some cases, you won't be saving much money, if any, over sending in your saw or taking a modded saw from them.

The easiest first mods to do are to open up your muffler some and enrichen the adjustments screws a bit. This alone often adds much better torque and throttle response.

I am considering importing 77cc BB kits and porting them and making them available. But the problem there lies in whether you can trust the customer to install them correctly. On some saws, like the Husqvarna 365/372 series, some folks do not reinstall the intake boot right and end up with an air leak that eventually kills their ported P&C. Some guys are crap at tuning, and burn their saws out or block them up. So there's plenty that can go wrong and come back at you. If I sell a ported saw to someone, I make sure they have my contact info and spend time with them explaining and showing them how to treat the saw for tuning, etc.

Even so, you have to expect some to come back to you for further work, or complete reworking, whether the saws fault, yours, or the users. When you mod a product, it is always your responsibility afterwards. You do this work, not because it makes you rich(coz it won't), but because you love it and you want others to enjoy it. It's not a lot different than art.

I understand completely. :thumbup1:

I want to enjoy it :laugh1:

I suppose there is more satisfaction from tinkering/learning yourself.

Or maybe we already had that covered....

146119407.iCyNUf6L.jpg

Couldn't see the decomp from that pic to realise it was one of the 10-cubes, I assume this is one of the 3 known ones?

I'd love to stumble across one of them, pity they're so rare!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've got this manual bender I use for making roll cages and wishbones....think the die I have for wishbones is 3/4", that'd be about right for a full wrap handle? The bend radius I've got might be a bit big though.

I'd like one like that it looks like the JD² bender. I've bent 19mm steel tube using a plumbing bender for 22mm copper pipe held in the vice and it works with a bit of extension on the handle.

Couldn't see the decomp from that pic to realise it was one of the 10-cubes, I assume this is one of the 3 known ones?

I'd love to stumble across one of them, pity they're so rare!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've spent several days with an 090 in 4-5' timber. The vibration compared to even a non spring AV modern saw near it's displacement is ridiculous. It's almost as if it was designed to shake.