eye pain from corneal abrasion.

Matthew Storrs

I used to wear contact lenses most days, and one day I had some dust scratch my eye. Unfortunately, the cut got infected, and it got very bad. Had to go on several drops and antibiotics for a few days, couldn't tolerate any sort of light, spent several days sleeping/sitting in a dark room. That was 3 years ago.

Had my eyes checked recently by the optician for a routine check up, he couldn't believe how scarred my eyes are from general abuse. He stopped making notes on where they were and started drawing them on a diagram instead. The worst scar, from the aforementioned event, is so close to the centre of my eye, he said I was lucky not to be blind. The scars on my eyes mean that I am no longer a candidate for laser eye surgery (until new methods are developed) as there is a small chance that the scar tissue would cause the lens flap to stick (the flap that they cut and lift before lasering)

I try to avoid wearing contacts now unless its raining, has helped with a lot of issues. Also if you do get in your eye, be VERY careful when trying to get it out. Don't stab at your eye with tissue paper or something. Sometimes it is clear, and you are just feeling the scratch, and you are simply further aggravating it!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the problem of crud in the eyes on the clean air act.

Trees, Sycamore in particular never had that nasty algae, when its wet its like grease and when its dry it powders up and turns into grinding paste in your eyeball.

Never used to get it back in the day, bring back the sulphur I say:001_rolleyes:

granddaughter got something scrath her eye went to docs gave her drops every 4 hours all cleared now so i would get a urgent gp apoitment or go to A&E to get it sorted out had weld eye and that was nasty. i should wear eye protecction laying hedges but as other posts steam up get dirty been flicked by thorns a few times not nice

I've found that contact lenses actually protect my eyes from the dust, well I certainly don't find myself bothered as much by it as when I wear glasses. I do also see the potential for infection if crud does get behind the lense though. 3 months ago a piece of hedge found it's way into my eye and pierced a hole dead centre which I had to have glued up. The Drs at A&E said the contact lense probably slowed the object enough that I kept my sight in that eye. A close call as they say. I am now extra careful to wear eye protection at ALL times!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've found that contact lenses actually protect my eyes from the dust, well I certainly don't find myself bothered as much by it as when I wear glasses. I do also see the potential for infection if crud does get behind the lense though. 3 months ago a piece of hedge found it's way into my eye and pierced a hole dead centre which I had to have glued up. The Drs at A&E said the contact lense probably slowed the object enough that I kept my sight in that eye. A close call as they say. I am now extra careful to wear eye protection at ALL times!!

You are a wise person:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

I suffered from "reoccurring corneal abrasion" many years ago, it was the result of many different scratches to the front of my eye, I had developed scar tissue on the front of my eye, often in the night the scar tissue would stick to the inside of my eyelid, when I opened my eye in the morning it pulled the skin off the front of my eye, very painful.

It's interesting to read the symptoms you had as ive been having very similar problems with my eyes for the last few months. They go through phases where im rudely awakened by a severe, sharp pain in my eye and I really have to concentrate to sort it out, very sensitive to light and vision is fuzzy for another couple days. Optition says I must be doing it at work as i couldn't scratch it that badly in my sleep but its happening in the middle of the night. I thought sleep must have been getting under my eyelid which then kept scratching my eye again and again. Now im wondering if it's a scar tissue problem.

It's interesting to read the symptoms you had as ive been having very similar problems with my eyes for the last few months. They go through phases where im rudely awakened by a severe, sharp pain in my eye and I really have to concentrate to sort it out, very sensitive to light and vision is fuzzy for another couple days. Optition says I must be doing it at work as i couldn't scratch it that badly in my sleep but its happening in the middle of the night. I thought sleep must have been getting under my eyelid which then kept scratching my eye again and again. Now im wondering if it's a scar tissue problem.

Sounds very similar to what was happening to me, I think you should see if you can get some ointment, its called chlorophenical (sp) or something like that.

If the problem persists I'll have a moan at option's or doc's and see what they say. So far ive been to A&E, Doctor, Hospital and Optitions twice. Fairly sure they prescribed that "chlorophenical (sp)" at least one of those times. Bit zingy when you put it in your eye!! :eek:

For all those that say their glasses steam up so they don't wear the; fork out for a decent pair of anti fog and look after them. It's all well and good saying they steam up, they get covered in crud etc but you only have two eyes. Ask a blind person what it's like not to be able to see. It's not that difficult to lose an eye doing tree work.