Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

The dodging is very true, but equally the testing would be woefully inacurate and unfair. The only way to police it will be by not working with or employing `stoned' people as opposed to people who smoke in down time.

Well I did say IF it works equally and fairly....

possibly if some clever bod invents a test that is less crude than just detecting use that might of been there possibly a day or a week or more or whatever, instead one that is sensitive or specific enough to tell if you have used canabis while on this shift? Like an acurate spot check? But then it comes down to practicality, cost, time etc, surely its better to work on trust and common sense, just agree to abide by a no drug at work policy? And any way dont the police reckon drug driving is more of a provlem than drink driving now? But then theres been a profound cultural change with drinking and driving, its not "acceptable" like it once was, should be the same with recreational drug's in the work place-any work place

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that people who regularly abuse drugs are a hazard on site.If there was a test that could show the ammount of substance's in their syetem that would indicate a prolonged level of use,then I would use it to make my decison to employ them or not.

If for instance showed an ammount of THC that was consistant with occasional use,then fine.If it was high enough(no pun intended) to mean several joints per day,that might mean they would be smoking on site or in my machinery.A situation that would before long result in damage,injury or more likely me catching them and firing them anyway.

I feel that everything is ok in moderation, and depending on the situation.I've never really smoked :bongsmi:at work and have told my groundies that they could get off site if they think they are gonna use a saw stoned, besides it would slow you down a bit surely, and I should know! The thing is I reckon you'd be more careful after a spliff than after a pint or two, the only time i climbed after a drink(bottle of guiness) I cut my hand open with secateurs removing epicormics.

Best to just leave it to the weekend!!!

i think i will put my monies worth in.

I personally think that it would be completely impractical to bring a drug test across the board and it would never happen within small companies. Large companies like the utilities do drug test and i think that this is acceptable.

My gripe is not with weed (although mentally addictive) its the other drugs like e's and charlie. When i was in the military i knew lads that were taking cocktails of drugs all weekend and then passing the piss test monday morning. But work wise they were useless till around wednesday. There are worse drugs that your colleauge could be taking and compromising your safety!!!!

The answer is if you won't to work for a company that drugs test then stay clean. However most small arb companies are never going to test so if you smoke weed choose your job round your addiction/habit.

personally i have turned up for work seriously hungover and to be honest still p****d and i was frightened how easy it is to nearly get a chog on your head and to nearly put your arms through the chipper!

I would never do that again!

After all that who Knows weather drug testing is right! but is still illeagal and compromises h&s:wave:

• 3 years later...

I think it would be good to have random drugs testing across the board-whatever you work on powerlines, privates, motorways. It would be intresting if after all the serious accidents if all employees on the site were tested. Then you could say that drugs and alcohol were factors in accidents. The point I am trying to make is why should my life be put in danger just because some drug addict or alcoholic needs to get their fix. I have done a lot of work on powerlines and noticed the drug use does affect people. If testing was bought in across the board then serious accidents would be less common. I also think as an industry it is seen as acceptable to be high or drunk/hungover and this attitude needs to be stopped. People can do whatever they want in their own time in relation to alcohol but on drugs I have no time for so I am all for random testing.

In response to the OP i think drugs testing is not fair as it finds the weed you may have smoked at the weekend which could be your only time for doing so. Smoking weed or taking any drug including alcohol in our workplace is just stupid and dangerous and should not even be contemplated.

Back in the day of 3 strand i went to work hungover and subsequently cut my rope in 2. I learned from that and will never make any mistake like that again!

What you do at weekends should remain your business and yours alone, testing can get a passive joint smoker the sack just for being in the same room as his friends puffing away the night before and no excuse on his part will change the guilty verdict, NOT fair IMO.

If someone is doing it at work then by all means send him on his way.