Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

For company drugs tests is it just a pee in a pot thing or do you have to give a blood sample?

Will have to do one if I get the job for Asplundh NZ.

Just pee in a pot. Nothing major, all over in a couple of minutes and results are usually there straight away. A lot of companies have Random drug testing in NZ now, mainly forestry as they had a lot of accidents. I was at Asplundh when they introduced the drug testing several years ago and to be honest, it weeded out (no pun intended) a lot of the really bad pot heads. Everyone else either changed their habits or moved on. Most places offer counselling and rehab if you fail a test followed by a retest a few weeks later. Rarely is it a case of sacked on the spot except in the case of a serious accident.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAWN its illegal, un-profesional, stupid, rude, anti social, sad, pathetic, disrespectful to those you work with, and who's property your working on both drink and drugs can have serious long term effects on your health and when you do mess up i doubt the insurance company will have much sympathy for you, and if you hurt someone i doubt when they rinse you dry through the court for every penny you have that judge will give two hoots that you thought you were relaxed and you climbed better.

Would you get into a plane for your holiday if you knew the pilot was of his trolly?

:thumbup1:

jasus lads...The insurance co.'s will be taken hair samples, from accident victims, from the industry next. an open forum is not the place for this. all they need is an excuse, not pay out. by the way a hair sample can tell, what and when you took, over the last 3 months. the only exception is LSD and that went out with the Indians.

Hair samples can detect many years later I was told. If you've nothing to hide why worry about "them needing an excuse".

The best drug you can take is called NBOFA - next breath of fresh air.

Did u know that long term exposure to adrenalin can also have major draw backs upon ones health .ie organ shrinkage and skin problems ( due to re rooted blood flow ). To be totally honest i used to have a really bad coke habit .. it got worse and worse ( ive kicked it now but when it was active i was a idiot and it started to reflect in my work etc etc... i was stuck in a living nightmare ( wich cost me fiscally prolly a house ) . it lasted approx 5 yrs from start to finish maybe a tad longer but , before you roll up that note think of your friends lovedones and work mates , carreer , life ( not just yours but the ones around you also ) when i was at my worst i was a total ass, i just wasnt me but a man thinking olny of his next line ( it also caused me to use other drugs at increasing rates ( darn ive always loved a smoke )) but drink etc etc. it just becomes a downward spiral . Class "a "s really do affect who and what you are. Its not easy for me to admit this but thats part of being over it , and im totally fully glad i am and can start sorting the crap out ive left behind me . i know i made a jolly before on this thread but .. it all starts off as fun and ends up in a nightmare with u walking to work and your dealer driving a brand new top of the range bmw around. Focus on your goals and loved ones and friends , engoy a toke , but remember as a human ( wich i hope you aare ) your just a pile of delicatley balanced chemicals , sat in some bag.Plz learn from what i did wrong .. im still pivcking up the peices now after a 7 yr holiday ( not prison an actual holiday ).

After working a 22hr day yesterday - I'd say lack of sleep is just ad dangerous as drink or drugs. But they can't test for that can they?

Asian fella just died after staying awake for 11 straight days watching the Euros. Your concentration is poked at the end of a normal working day so after 22 hours I don't think I'd want to be doing anything technical or at height. Mistakes creep in real quick.

We also had the same argument as Asplundh when they first brough in the testing as far as they weren't going to check for alchohol. It seemed somewhat unfair that they would test for all illegal substances but not if someone was pissed or hungover. The usual answer was the the other substances were illegal. I think that situation has been rectified across the board though. Couple of guys at Transfield got random tested a few months ago and failed the alcohol. Got fired on the spot due to Transfields strict no drugs no alchohol policy.

Did u know that long term exposure to adrenalin can also have major draw backs upon ones health .ie organ shrinkage and skin problems ( due to re rooted blood flow ). To be totally honest i used to have a really bad coke habit .. it got worse and worse ( ive kicked it now but when it was active i was a idiot and it started to reflect in my work etc etc... i was stuck in a living nightmare ( wich cost me fiscally prolly a house ) . it lasted approx 5 yrs from start to finish maybe a tad longer but , before you roll up that note think of your friends lovedones and work mates , carreer , life ( not just yours but the ones around you also ) when i was at my worst i was a total ass, i just wasnt me but a man thinking olny of his next line ( it also caused me to use other drugs at increasing rates ( darn ive always loved a smoke )) but drink etc etc. it just becomes a downward spiral . Class "a "s really do affect who and what you are. Its not easy for me to admit this but thats part of being over it , and im totally fully glad i am and can start sorting the crap out ive left behind me . i know i made a jolly before on this thread but .. it all starts off as fun and ends up in a nightmare with u walking to work and your dealer driving a brand new top of the range bmw around. Focus on your goals and loved ones and friends , engoy a toke , but remember as a human ( wich i hope you aare ) your just a pile of delicatley balanced chemicals , sat in some bag.Plz learn from what i did wrong .. im still pivcking up the peices now after a 7 yr holiday ( not prison an actual holiday ).

Nicely said, I can think of some who should read this and take note. :thumbup1:

I don't know how people can work smoking dope, I used to use it to sleep at night.

Had a problem sleeping before due to bad nightmares, found tablets did nothing, eventually went to a phyciatrist and it got a lot better and I stopped.

"hard" drugs have never interested me and never will, seem a waste of money to me. The money you could spend on cocaine for instants you could go parachuting and get high that way.

Interesting thread, controversial!

As one who works with both the MOD and rail industry, random drug and alcohol testing is a fact of life, and to be honest I have no problem with it.

As an employer, if I fail to take appropriate steps to ensure the safety of my employees, members of the public, and others, I am committing an offence. Whatever industry I am in, if I have reason to believe that employees are tunring up under the influence and I fail to take action to stop it, I am guilty of an offence and may end up in prison.

I wonder how many people know that if you are working anywhere where the Transport & Works Act applies and doing a safety critical job (cutting trees by a railway, for example) then the legal maximum limit for blood alchohol is 30mg which is far lower than the legal drink-drive linit of 80mg. For an average sized male, 1.1/2 pints will put you over the T&WA limit.