Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the thread so forgive me if I cover something already stated or debated.

Several of our larger clients carry out compulsory drug testing. The sophistication of these tests now mean they can tell when, how much and whether the sample is watered down, old or from someone else.

If one of our guys is found to have anything illegal in their system they are never allowed to work for that company again. Even if they had a puff of weed a couple of weekends ago.

If they don't show for a test they are awarded an assumed positive and the same criteria apply.

Prescription/non-prescription drugs that affect a persons ability to operate machinery count too, though with not such draconian outcomes.

Clearly this would have an effect on their employability with us and it also contravenes several clauses in our, relatively short, contract of employment.

I do a lot of subcontract work and they have a guy who likes a smoke in work. He actually thinks it helps his work I can tell you for a fact it really slows him down. He is basically on a ride on mower all day and what should take say 6 hours takes him 8/9. I told the boss in no circumstances ever put him with me when I'm on the saw or up a tree or ill walk off site, the boss thinks its fine and tried to argue his case but when met with my answer he backed off and now they have brought in drug testing as it turned out 80% of the company smoke weed or worse and has resulted in mass amounts of broken machinery or vans

i think compulsory drugs testing will result in half the work force (in some companies) being sacked.

i am against any drugs at work. i have worked with people who used it recreationally in the evenings and weekends etc. 'Doesnt affect me' would often be the response i would get but i can most definitely say it does. the users are lethargic and have unpredictable mood swings.

At the very least we should group them up so they can all fell trees on each other and leave the rest of us out of it.

apart from the safety thing with drugs, the main problem is that they have often have to be paid for, and the people using them are peasants, genuinely poor people, often with lots of debts, loans, mortgages, or even worse, forever renting

You must live in a very blinkered world. Drug abuse is just as bad in wealthy people than any other tier of society. They usually have more to loose so hide it better.

You must live in a very blinkered world. Drug abuse is just as bad in wealthy people than any other tier of society. They usually have more to loose so hide it better.

i would agree with that. Lots off different types using.

flakey bastuards

maybe I don't see the bigger picture, but surely the fact that there are far fewer wealthy people than poor ones means most of the people spending money on drugs are poor, not saying all drug users are poor, just most of them

maybe I don't see the bigger picture, but surely the fact that there are far fewer wealthy people than poor ones means most of the people spending money on drugs are poor, not saying all drug users are poor, just most of them

Believe me the wealthy make up for it they don't pass a tray of after eights round the table drug users come from every tier of society addiction does not discriminate against class.

Long term use of hard drugs are going to make most users poor.