Hypothetical Question Chrismas Day Call Out ?

D A Tree Surgeons

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you are right

And for me a good time to read it !

Merry xmas

Who said it might not be hypothetical for long??

A row of 20 TPO'd,1912 planted, prominent skyline Monterey I was asked to look at last week (had TO on site to fast track a 5 day exemption to TPO application which was approved.) Dreadful condition, dead wood, hanging branches etc over footpath, domestic drive, garages & railway embankment, no history of any TPO apps for pruning / management within 25 yrs of TO's memory.

Email tonight to say additional branches down and hanging. So, landowner hasn't taken any proactive steps in at least 25 yrs, now it's a problem, do I (a) dash over and start it tomorrow or (b) leave it til NY when I said I'd do it.

The look on my wife's face when I mentioned it was enough for me to know which!

I'd rather not go out and work but if I was asked to then I would. I know it's not all about money, more about keeping others safe and happy, but the money is a big incentive!

For people saying they would happily go out and work, it's entirely up to them and their families, no one on a forum can say that their idiots/selfish etc to work on Xmas day - some people don't have families/girlfriends/wives/kids etc to spend the day with... So perhaps they would rather work and treat it as a normal day and give something back to the community etc.

As some people have said that they would happily work for a couple of hours on Xmas morning, perhaps they don't have alot of money and would like to buy their children an extra present or two. Everyone's different and no one can say you can/can't work on Xmas day.

Lets just hope that nothing major will happen for any of us, and if it does, please all stay safe and have a very merry Xmas.

Regards

Without bothering to read through the whole thread, as I can see from here where it's headed, this comment just about sums up my view on Christmas day working. Everyone is in a different position with different needs/wants, no one is stupid for working/not working certain days.

If its in your contract either with a Client or with your employer you have no choice. but if no formal cover has been discussed then it would be difficult to get a sober tree surgeon after 10am I reckon (judging by my own standards...)

I'd want a decent retainer just to stay sober, also i have a young family so would give any call to the younger lads with no children to sort out.... they usually need the extra cash this time of year too.

Its not all about money, I have been out this morning shunting trees off the road with the telehandler. At least folk, the bus and trucks could get on their way. Its bad enough round here with no power for 15 hours plus so glad to offer something for the locals. Just rigged up the genny to get the fridge lights and heating back on. Its going to be bleak for some.

Bob