Hypothetical Question Chrismas Day Call Out ?

D A Tree Surgeons

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a guy that works in forestry, but works on the railways aswell some weekends. He always works christmas day, boxing day and new years day and gets £1500/day. His thought is that its only another day and by working those three he can pay for all his familys presents aswell as giving them all a pretty smart holiday each year.

Not my cup of tea but each to their own!

I Think im with you on that one Skyhuck :thumbup::sneaky2:

I charged £840.00 last year to clear a birch that had fallen across a driveway last boxing day. 2 guys, chipper and on site for 5hrs and away from home for 7hrs. Charging from when the phone goes down of course.

Edited by Ian Flatters
spelling

Call outs come at a premium for several reasons.

Its generally storm damage and that's more hazardous, its usually the middle of the night and in bad weather and that's more hazardous, it usually means you cant jump into the planned days work the next day so that throws planning out and can lead to disappointed clients.

You cant do it on your own so if you want staff to be available you have to pay them to be available so there is a cost implication, you have to pay them overtime rates when they turn out and (in the UK) if its a statutory holiday more again or overtime pay and the time back.

So its not because they think it will bear more its because that's what it costs

I understand your reasons. When Hurricane Charlie hit just South of my residence on August the 9th 2004 I called my best friend who lost his house and asked him if there was anything I could do or bring. He said he needed gas and chainsaws if I had any. I told him I would be down ASAP since I had to secure gasoline locally. On the way down I passed hundreds of homes damaged and destroyed. I stopped twice before I finally made it to my friends house to cut up and remove storm damage for total strangers who's cars were either blocked by trees in their garages or pinned down by trees. These folks were in a state of shock and had no help. It was not a matter of charging any price or what the market would bare. People needed help and I was happy to be in the right place at the right time. And I did not except any money in spite of the fact that I could have. My friends house did have 4 small trees to cut up and drag to the front yard. Mission accomplished:thumbup1:

That year the Sunshine State sustained damage from 4 Hurricanes,and although I was only able to help in a small way when you multiply that number by thousands of personnel and companies from all over the country we pulled through:thumbup1:, in spite of adverse conditions.

BTW, Many companies worked around the clock to help others in need for no

other reason than to help. Christmas is the season of giving, nothing hypothetical about it how one chooses to give or receive is another story.

easy-lift guy

I understand your reasons. When Hurricane Charlie hit just South of my residence on August the 9th 2004 I called my best friend who lost his house and asked him if there was anything I could do or bring. He said he needed gas and chainsaws if I had any. I told him I would be down ASAP since I had to secure gasoline locally. On the way down I passed hundreds of homes damaged and destroyed. I stopped twice before I finally made it to my friends house to cut up and remove storm damage for total strangers who's cars were either blocked by trees in their garages or pinned down by trees. These folks were in a state of shock and had no help. It was not a matter of charging any price or what the market would bare. People needed help and I was happy to be in the right place at the right time. And I did not except any money in spite of the fact that I could have. My friends house did have 4 small trees to cut up and drag to the front yard. Mission accomplished:thumbup1:

That year the Sunshine State sustained damage from 4 Hurricanes,and although I was only able to help in a small way when you multiply that number by thousands of personnel and companies from all over the country we pulled through:thumbup1:, in spite of adverse conditions.

other reason than to help. Christmas is the season of giving, nothing hypothetical about it how one chooses to give or receive is another story.

easy-lift guy

My shoulders are really sore..............any chance of a free Easy lift harness???????

easy-lift guy

We dont get the same severe weather you do. I think these boys are talking about removing trees so millionaires can get to the golf club. If we had a national disaster I am sure everyone would muck in and the last thing on anyones mind would be payment. If I was in the usa without insurance and got injured would I get free medical care ?

We dont get the same severe weather you do. I think these boys are talking about removing trees so millionaires can get to the golf club. If we had a national disaster I am sure everyone would muck in and the last thing on anyones mind would be payment. If I was in the usa without insurance and got injured would I get free medical care ?

Funny thing is storm damage from Hurricanes and tornados spawned from same storms don't just pick and choose who's home will be destroyed:sneaky2:

I am sure if asked the people of the UK would and could pull together in times of emergencies :thumbup1: As for your last question I carry my own health and medical insurance, over here it's not a right, it's a personnel responsibility :thumbup1:. O BTW when I travel to the UK I take out a special policy so as to not burden your countries health care system during my stay. Again going back to personnel responsibility.

easy-lift guy

Funny thing is storm damage from Hurricanes and tornados spawned from same storms don't just pick and choose who's home will be destroyed:sneaky2:

I am sure if asked the people of the UK would and could pull together in times of emergencies :thumbup1: As for your last question I carry my own health and medical insurance, over here it's not a right, it's a personnel responsibility :thumbup1:. O BTW when I travel to the UK I take out a special policy so as to not burden your countries health care system during my stay. Again going back to personnel responsibility.

easy-lift guy

Why is have insurance to cover your trees in the event of bad weather not a personal responsibility??

Using your argument all emergency medical staff would work for free.