Hypothetical Question Chrismas Day Call Out ?

D A Tree Surgeons

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love call outs.

I would settle for 4x my normal day rate so that only takes it up to 6 large ones.

If it was friends or family I would do it for free.

Bring on the bad weather.

By the way I have goats that are eating me out of house and home. I am thinking this Christmas malrkey is getting in the way of work, and no I dont have children.

:D:D:beer::beer:

Funny thing is storm damage from Hurricanes and tornados spawned from same storms don't just pick and choose who's home will be destroyed:sneaky2:

I am sure if asked the people of the UK would and could pull together in times of emergencies :thumbup1: As for your last question I carry my own health and medical insurance, over here it's not a right, it's a personnel responsibility :thumbup1:. O BTW when I travel to the UK I take out a special policy so as to not burden your countries health care system during my stay. Again going back to personnel responsibility.

easy-lift guy

Travel insurance has been bog standard for decades, not much to do with personal responsibility and more to do with not getting a huuuuuge invoice.

I think the difference between skyhucks and ELGs debate is that, on Christmas day, it is a planned day off to be spent with family, having to be called out is considerably altering those plans and possibly ruining Christmas day for the other family members.

I'd like to think that if any of us were out and about in a storm and saw people obviously in difficulty/danger we would all pitch in and help and probably wouldn't accept payment.

Unfortunately if you have a tree fall on your home on Christmas day and want it sorted ASAP its going to cost you- its just one of those things. The clutch went in my tractor this week causing me considerable delays and costs- trouble is I can't find any ag engineers prepared to do it for a tenner cos its christmas, where's the Christmas spirit eh?

Call outs come at a premium for several reasons.

Its generally storm damage and that's more hazardous, its usually the middle of the night and in bad weather and that's more hazardous, it usually means you cant jump into the planned days work the next day so that throws planning out and can lead to disappointed clients.

You cant do it on your own so if you want staff to be available you have to pay them to be available so there is a cost implication, you have to pay them overtime rates when they turn out and (in the UK) if its a statutory holiday more again or overtime pay and the time back.

So its not because they think it will bear more its because that's what it costs

good point treequip :thumbup:

If theres a job needs doing I'll go do it, I'm not well enough off to turn down work, have to go to the farm morning and evening to do the animals anyway same as every other day of the year so we always have our christmas dinner on the evening, other half will probably be in work too as she is a carer, so won't affect us much if something did come in, though could do with some kip as just done 7 days straight on early starts to finish a site clearance for xmas :001_cool: