Which Cordless drill?

jamesd

Dewalt or Makita combi would be my choice. If pushed I would choose Dewalt. I have had amazing service from Dewalt combi (and drill driver and impact driver for that matter). Impact drivers are brilliant for driving screws particularly in first fix joinery but not really suitable for drilling or delicate work.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it comes to makes I can't honestly say there is much wrong with any of the big names. I have had tools by most of them and work as cabinet maker for 20+ years and built a house and only have had two faults both caused by abuse. Once tried a cheap angle grinder did 10mins before catching fire :biggrin:

When I first started on my own I bought Ryobi +1 range.

They were very good and cheap enough to abuse, also cheap enough to expand.

By the time I'd finished I'd got everything from 4 different drills, jigsaw, circular saw, radio, torch, and about a dozen batteries.

About 2 years ago got offered a Makita 18v LXT screwdriver. WOW!

When we're decking we can put 1000 screws a day in. The speed of the driver was a revelation.

The Makita DAB radio was next, quickly followed by a combi drill / impact driver kit.

Can't recommend them enough.

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hilti cordless drills are indestructible, Makita are also very good and more affordable, I have Makita tool

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

2nd that for HILTI there not cheap but very reliable i have a 22v impact driver puts 4 inch screws in for fencing in seconds even with no pilot hole:thumbup:

As the others have said, not much to choose between any of the top makes, just depends on what colour you prefer. But another name to add is that of matabo. I use matabo drills at work and really rate them. If not them then i'd go makita.

I would recommend a metabo. Have 4 been using and abusing them for years, always out preforming the £350 bosch. Our older metabo (£200) has a 10 min charge and that will average 200 two inch screws or 100 four inch screws without pilot holes. The charger recently drowned but started working again after drying.

our top spec bosch struggles to drive four inch screws, though the charge was better all 3 batterys have died now one melted its self:confused1:

we got the new 18v 5.2 amp metabo combi costing 300 from dm-tools.

I regularly drive m12 coach screws, its unbeatable

d8668cf89ec0b50a99791d4370cdbf42.jpg.2abb62d2e579f8cc9a8f3b3c94ef19a3.jpg

Got two combi drills, 14.4v NiMH with 2x batteries & 18v Li with 1x battery), both DeWalt and no complaints, other than the 18v XRP is a bit heavy for holding still at awkward angles. But that's due to the weight of the battery. Overall I find them well balanced, tough and have plenty of grunt.

I didn't get an 18v because the 14.4v was lacking in power. I actually bought the 18v 18mths. before someone gave me the 14.4v, together with the two batteries. I was helping him to clear his garage and I recall the conversation along these lines,

"You can have that one if you have a use for it. Otherwise it's I'm going to bin it."

"How old is it?"

"A year old. I was helping a friend and he didn't have a drill, so I bought one."

"Don't you still want it?"

"I've enough drills." he replied, as he moved a box aside to reveal another four or so DeWalt drills on charge.

Bosch are good and tough as nails too.

Edited by TGB