Splitting Elm - Any advice?

sawsaw

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was recently given 2 elm trees - which was great until I came to split the wood . A 9llb splitting maul just bounces off and to splt a ring 12" thick has taken up to 40 blows to a wood grenade with a sledge!

Thats about right for elm . The heart wood usually has a helical grain and the outer wood is more strait grained . I used to struggle like you but I have 2 mechanical splitters . Its the only way to go ! Its cracking fire wood by the way , especially if its dead standing ......

Thats about right for elm . The heart wood usually has a helical grain and the outer wood is more strait grained . I used to struggle like you but I have 2 mechanical splitters . Its the only way to go ! Its cracking fire wood by the way , especially if its dead standing ......

HI STUBBY your right had to cut and split mate but it wood for fire thanks jon :thumbup:

Many types of elm - some split very easily, others not. I tend to find that it's the English elm that is a cow to split. The heartwood and sapwood seem to have spiraling grain that goes in opposite directions. Split off the sapwood first, using your axe to cleave it off. Then proceed with the heartwood as normal.

Great firewood.

i can remember being at one of the APF shows a lot of years ago , talking to a man at the " HY CRACK" stand where they where showing there screw splitters

i asked if there screw tips would fit a KIDD splitter, he said yes and that there splitters were made first and when dutch elm diesase came in the 70s they couldnt keep up with demand as hydraulic type were no good and so asked kidd to make them for them,

then later kidd, made and sold them under there own kidd name