Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

Can’t really convey what a journey it’s been so far with this machine, but cracking it now.

Have a new Felling Head landing shortly for it, moving away from Big Shears, they have their place, but not for me.

Hard to scale, but touching nearly 19 metres of outreach or height in this configuration with extension and around 13 metres when the Engcon and Shears are on it.

Seriously versatile and productive now.

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, swinny said:

Keep thinking about a small 1.5t ish digger with a grab or finger to help out on site. Fear it will be too small for most stuff aswell

You’d be surprised just what they can do!

If you can still find a tidy Takeuchi TB016 that isn’t crazy money, there’s little risk to dipping a toe in, apart from ending up with a kit addiction!?

22 minutes ago, swinny said:

Keep thinking about a small 1.5t ish digger with a grab or finger to help out on site. Fear it will be too small for most stuff aswell

2.5 ton much more capable and stable.

youll wonder how you ever managed without 

1 hour ago, LGP Eddie said:

You’d be surprised just what they can do!

If you can still find a tidy Takeuchi TB016 that isn’t crazy money, there’s little risk to dipping a toe in, apart from ending up with a kit addiction!?

How much is it going to cost for a small dabble of the toe? Little 1.5t with longer arm and a fixed grab? Roughly

17 minutes ago, swinny said:

How much is it going to cost for a small dabble of the toe? Little 1.5t with longer arm and a fixed grab? Roughly

A Kubota kx36-3 like mine and an RSL thumb or a fixed grab can definitely be had for less than  7k, probably 5.5-6k if you  don't mind a bit of a scruff.

A 1.5 ton will lift 200kgs easily, all day long and push god knows how much brush in one go. At this size you can get into loads of places, especially as the canopy only has a handful of bolts and 2 people can do it comfortably in minutes. You can also carry other stuff on the trailer with it legally- mini dumper, stump grinder, small chipper, logs I could even put my 3/4 ton digger on as well if I needed to.image.jpg.f8fe514d9e2bfb25962630c5cf60e367.jpgIMG_3111.thumb.JPG.cb7dcd64c1f97e3ba52fb6a6196642d0.JPGIMG_3682.thumb.JPG.dcb9247772e10e3607a610b2d514d618.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

On the Tiltrotator front, I was delighted to see SMP finally getting a Dealer up and running in the UK and putting out a nice setup paired with the superb EMA Buckets.

In no way a poor relation SMP from talking to owners of some serious setups in Sweden. Their Hardlock quick hitch is a really nice unit.

I was pretty surprised at prices quoted for this 13 tonner setup with Gripper.

My prediction is we’re going to see a lot more.

Eddie.

115996AF-9F3D-4C6B-AFF3-3AC6288A2C0F.jpeg

When I was in the market a couple of years ago it ultimately came down to SMP (their package was very very good value) and Rototilt (who I ended up buying from - a bit more money but I felt more comfortable with their UK backup). The other 2 suppliers were both significantly more expensive for their equivalent set-ups. 

I bought an SMP qh when the digger was brand new (it was available off the shelf in Sweden and I had it fitted and out working less than a week after ordering - I couldn’t source an S40 qh for my machine from anyone else without a significant lead time). This was bought and fitted before I’d settled on a spec for my tilty - the machine did a couple of months work before I ordered that.

Daniel and Caroline (SMP UK at the time, I don’t know if that’s still the case but hope it is?) were very helpful and great to deal with and I would have been happy to spend the big money on the tilty with them had they had a more established UK presence - in terms of quality everything I’ve seen of SMP appears top drawer IME.

I was very green/new to this market and felt more comfortable spending my money with a more established outfit (and I have no regrets with the decisions made) but more suppliers = more choice which can only be a good thing for consumers! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, william127 said:

A Kubota kx36-3 like mine and an RSL thumb or a fixed grab can definitely be had for less than  7k, probably 5.5-6k if you  don't mind a bit of a scruff.

A 1.5 ton will lift 200kgs easily, all day long and push god knows how much brush in one go. At this size you can get into loads of places, especially as the canopy only has a handful of bolts and 2 people can do it comfortably in minutes. You can also carry other stuff on the trailer with it legally- mini dumper, stump grinder, small chipper, logs I could even put my 3/4 ton digger on as well if I needed to.image.jpg.f8fe514d9e2bfb25962630c5cf60e367.jpgIMG_3111.thumb.JPG.cb7dcd64c1f97e3ba52fb6a6196642d0.JPGIMG_3682.thumb.JPG.dcb9247772e10e3607a610b2d514d618.JPG

Is that rsl root ripper any good?

Edited by dig-dug-dan
Spelling correction

9 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Is that rsl root ripper any good?

Very, lots of uses, good and strong. Really can destroy roots to get stumps out. The only problem is it comes with a welded on stud and nut to hold the pins in, which is a rubbish idea for a soil engaging tool! I've replaced them with a more normal pin and r clip arrangement, would be worth specifying when ordering.

But its a great tool. I have often used it to tear up ground before digging it up with a bulk bucket, rather than having to use the 2ft toothed bucket. I've also dug planting trenches with virtually no soil disturbance. I've pilot holed gate posts with it, ripped out sheets of concrete, handled tons of timber. 

I wouldn't be without it.

• Like 1