Trade ins

Sweebo

Work has been good managed to put a bit extra by to upgrade kit , have a ms 441 a year old and genuinely not done a lot of work so too it to my local dealer wanted to part exchange towards a 3120xp ,so a bit of money to be mad by dealer

The dealer sold me the saw a year ago but no deal was to be done would not be interested in the saw as no one buys seconed had saws ,I was not looking for silly money Evan prapared to go under value a bit to help buy needed new saw

Went home a little angry phoned round thee other dealers only to be told the same

Why is this is it to keep new prises high ,do we have to keep unwanted saws at the back of the shed gathering dust

its not in the interests of a dealer to sell a 2nd hand saw...

they may not earn a lot on selling a new saw... but if any work needs doing its warrenty billed to manufacturor...

selling a 2nd hand saw... then customer comes back saying its not right it comes out of dealers pocket.... and its more hassle with the 2nd hand saw

hows the dealer supposed to tell how much use, by who, and how someone has used the saw?

new saws cost hundreds of hard ernt pounds onece you leave the shop there worthless

Not really so. You only have to look on gumtree or ebay to see that secondhand saws hold good money, in fact I sometimes wonder why people pay so much for secondhand than new.

But those same buyers would not pay that sort of money for a used saw at a dealer, they would quickly 'sell themselves up' to a new saw.

A used saw will need to be priced much lower than a new (discounted) saw.

I, and I guess, most dealers will buy trade ins, but only at a price which allows the cost of a full service, new chain, profit margin, warranty reserve and VAT to be added to it and still sell at a competative price. Work that back and its not hard to see that the trade in 'offer' from the dealer is going to be pretty low. So low in fact that it may be considered an insult.

There is insufficient profit in the sale of the new saw to 'inflate' the PX.

As others have said, sell it privately. You can ask the same, or more than the dealer without any of the costs or liabilities the dealer has. You will be quids in.

If I had the time I would sell it privately ,but don't do eBay advertise in local papers then who turns at your door .BUT why don't the main dealers take trade ins ,new saws cost hundreds of hard ernt pounds onece you leave the shop there worthless

They are not worthless mate, just that the dealer does not deal in second hand saws, fair enough, most don't.

Use the saw you have, make it earn you money, as it has no doubt already, or sell it privately, you will be better off that way.:001_smile: