What is experience??

JLA Arborists

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen posts looking for groundies / climbers "with experience"

I was wondering what you would level of experience you would consider a person experienced?

OK, Experience in simple terms is this, You say hello to your new boss, he briefs you as you drive to the first job of the days tasks, you listen , when you get out of the van you don't need to ask you just crack on with the work, if your experienced you don't need to ask what to do as you just know, you could even be a mute, :thumbup1:

5 years is about right to call yourself experienced but if you work in the same place with the same people day in and out you will max out the experience quotient pretty quickly.

Seek out people from whom you can learn. Pin your ears back, listen watch and learn.

It all depends on those you work with or for, 5 years is a good chunk of time to proficient at this job, I think it could take less depending on your aptitude at this job and the quality of those you work with.

I work with guys who have been doing this for 15 years and still can't sharpen a chainsaw properly!

I've also worked at companies where the top climber was the student who has risen through the ranks and trained the one below etc, only problem is the teach the same bad habits and never look outside their own circle and seem negative towards different approaches.

Two years full time on the ground then two years full time climbing, ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for someone with heaps of natural talent.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Again mate it all depends on who you work with or for and the kind of Arb work they are geared towards, I'm sure someone working with you would become a well rounded Arborist. Some working Utility may be more of a bosher and not so suited to garden work or sensitive work on Veteran trees.

Type of experience and those you work with is key.

Two years full time on the ground then two years full time climbing, ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for someone with heaps of natural talent.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I've never climbed in my life, but I'm fairly sure that I'd pick it up and become proficient in a lot less time than that working full time at it.

It's not rocket science after all. If you have genuinely have 'heaps of natural talent' then you pick things up quick.

Diggers, tractors, chainsaws, welding, none of these take two years working full time to become proficient enough to jump straight into for a new company and not have to ask questions save for those that relate directly to the companies specific way of working.