posting

John Shutler

I would rather be told if my posting was considered inappropriate or unwelcome by the mods rather go on blissfully unaware spoiling the forum. I know my sense of humour is a bit 'out there' sometimes but I try to only have a laugh with people who are up for it. It should be remembered that if anybody doesn't like reading the posts of any particular individual, there is I believe an 'ignore, button. :001_smile:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem with that is that you don't want members to be fearful of posting in case something is misconstrued. Most jokes can be if you try hard enough. Without jokes and banter lots of people wouldn't find this forum as much fun.

Tone is difficult to convey over text. It takes consideration from both parties, posting and reading. If no obvious harm was meant, let's not break out the torches and pitchforks. At the same time try not to post remarks that are obviously rude and therefore unconstructive. I know I can certainly try to stick to this from now on.

There is a difference between banter and ridicule and there is mothing subtle about it. Banter is good-natured ribbing - plenty of examples of that on this site. Ridicule is an attempt to counter a point or argument by denigrating the individual concerned. I don't post very often, not because I have nothing to say or even because I'm concerned at the response. Why should I care what someone who does not know me says about me? However I have no wish to be associated with that kind of behaviour. I regular browse the site because there are people on here whose opinion is valued, whether or not I agree with them. They have even changed my view on occasion. They are what makes this site worthwhile.

Speaking of jokes and I know it's completely off topic but seeing j newtons post made me think of it, here goes: light a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life! :)

Sent using My c

Being on this site should be: fun, relaxing, unthreatening, educational, topical and not least of all interesting. I've been moderating this forum since the beginning, and I've never found it tedious....until now. It's become tiresome, the same few doing the same stuff on a different day. All any of us want is the forum to run smoothly with as little effort as possible, as Steve said we run companies or are out working ourselves, the last thing I want to do is run a crèche in my evenings. If you don't wish to stick to a few rules, or just want to come here to stir the crap day after day, just go somewhere else, we just don't need it.

good post