Buying a log burning stove

Beecham 4000-Four

Burley. We have the 12kw Wakerley which absolutely kicks out the heat and is really efficient. They do lots of stoves but if you wasn't amazing heat and efficiency, this is the make for you. They are just superbly made stoves.

2nd that :thumbup1:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clear view Vision 500 (8kw), pricy but very good. This stove has heated the whole house for 13 years and hence has paid for itself several times over. The key things that I would look for in a stove are:

1) Fire bricks: these ensure a higher internal temperature which means cleaner burning and these get eaten away instead of the sides of your stove ! Important if you want to keep the stove a long time. I change the fire bricks every 2-3 years

2) Double glazed again helps keep the temperature up and helps keep the glass clean

3) Nearly airtight seals with good air control, this will allow you to turn it right down so will keep going for a long time. I once went away on a Friday night put a thumping great chunk of oak in and when I came back on Sunday afternoon there were enough glowing embers to light the next load of wood, overnight is easy peasy

4) Spares availability e.g fire bricks, baffle plates etc, over time these will need replacing but they help protect the main shell of the stove

5) Steer clear of back boilers unless you really need one, I spoke to the Clearview designer and he said that, the boilers reduce the internal temperature and hence make the stove less efficient, smokey and smoked up glass ( and you could end up producing a lot of steam since you can't easily control the % split between heat to room and heat to hot water)

A friend brought a cheap leaky stove and he can't even keep it going overnight or throttle it back enough on milder evenings so he is now planning to buy a better one. so I think you are right to consider the better quality stoves

Does anyone know the price of the Burley Wakerley stoves. No one has a price online and I would like to get a ball park figure. Seems I may have to buy it in person from a stove shop and this could be expensive.

Have a look at the Navitron ones as I am pretty sure they are the Burley sold under a different name. Navitron Stoves