jobs worth at petrol station !

defenderjack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iirc I think the ruling came into being following the London riots, to limit how much the rioters could use for arson?

Nope they stopped selling of fuel into cans for that

The quantity sold into cans and the colour of the cans come from the petroleum regulations which govern how fuel is stored and sold.

So it would seem that the jobsworth is following statute and if the likes of Stihl made cans in green we wouldn't be having this conversation:001_rolleyes:

I do believe that the maximum ammount of fuel allowed to be purchased when placed into a fuel can as opposed to a vehicles tank is 10 litres. Something to do with storage and riots I suspect.

Iirc I think the ruling came into being following the London riots, to limit how much the rioters could use for arson?

I thought the rule came into place after the fuel strikes in 2000, or 2001, don't recall the year now. Some half-wit supposedly burnt his garage or house down after storing petrol in wheely bins :confused1: in his garage. Don't know if he was filling the wheely bins up at a petrol station or filling cans then filling the bins at home. Anyway, as a result, only approved containers can be filled now and only up to 10L. Could be just an urban myth.

I thought the rule came into place after the fuel strikes in 2000, or 2001, don't recall the year now. Some half-wit supposedly burnt his garage or house down after storing petrol in wheely bins :confused1: in his garage. Don't know if he was filling the wheely bins up at a petrol station or filling cans then filling the bins at home. Anyway, as a result, only approved containers can be filled now and only up to 10L. Could be just an urban myth.

It is, but its entertaining

So what is the official laws relating to this ? is it a maximum of 10 ltrs per purchase, what about the BS standard marks and any colour coding !!! gets me so annoyed-the law should publish posters for garages to display with an idiots guide re shape/size/colour/BS and anything else of relevence. And what about the old "jerry can", if I am restriced to 10 ltrs of fuel per purchase that will mean 2 1/2 visits to fill just one 25 ltr can. I reckon it is linked to the non payment of duty on red diesel-another dodge to stop the government getting their 75%/75p tax on each £1 spent !!mmm.

So what is the official laws relating to this ? is it a maximum of 10 ltrs per purchase, what about the BS standard marks and any colour coding !!! gets me so annoyed-the law should publish posters for garages to display with an idiots guide re shape/size/colour/BS and anything else of relevence. And what about the old "jerry can", if I am restriced to 10 ltrs of fuel per purchase that will mean 2 1/2 visits to fill just one 25 ltr can. I reckon it is linked to the non payment of duty on red diesel-another dodge to stop the government getting their 75%/75p tax on each £1 spent !!mmm.

The "law" is the petroleum regulations, but it maters not, they are retailers and if they say they will only sell fuel in certain cans that's their prerogative.