I will beat any quote by 5%

steve@black

I spend a bit of time chatting to potential new customers while doing quotes . My thought is have a bit of chit chat and a laugh . Then when you leave the potential customer will be thinking arrrrggghhh he was nice ; ) Sad but works for me :001_tt2:

it works for all of us, being polite and friendly dont cost a penny:thumbup1:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i priced for two grasscutting contracts. one i cut the grass because the firm who was doing it was changing hands. i lost the job they priced cutting a playing field for £30 how can you do a job with machine for this but the work is bad no strimming in cut out 10 minutes other job £50 cheaper went for other company as a well known firm even though i had been doing work for them for 5 years and they know my work is good. i have given up trying to sqeese my margins for some jobs its now a price if i get it fine if not can only hope more will come my way.

This has come up a few times recently by two different companies locally , both are quite aggressive with advertising . I was wondering what people have to say about this ,are these people desperate for work ect or what happens if they go against each other does the client get the work for free.

Its all about method, 2 ways to do a job so cost should always be compared to a method statement for a true comparison, don't get drawn into it, if the client thinks cheapest is best let them have it, they wont go their again, much better to stick to your morals , you know how much a job should be and thats the price, focus more on providing a great service to a price to which you can provide it. :thumbup1:

I've won jobs on attitude before. If your any good the price isn't the most important thing! It's an important factor surely but If you can make the customer confident they are getting good value for money then there is a better chance of winning the job.

Don't like trying to beat quotes as you may miss something and then you may try and rush the job to get another done in the day to make a bit more. Then you break something and ruin it all!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'm only just starting out so my experience levels arnt the best but I'm still winning some jobs over some of the more experienced arborist's in the area and most of them return to me for more work, one thing I get told quite often by clients is that they like my positive, enthusiastic and helpful approach. I don't think it's all to do with price as I know I've quoted a little more than some on some jobs, I think a lot of it is to do with your appearance. I suppose what I'm trying to say is in my opinion just stick to your guns and let others do as they please, as long as your happy, what else really matters?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sounds like there in the business of destroying the competition. Maybe you should undetprice a few jobs and subtly post there Flyer a few days later.

If they are going 5% lower than the low-baller ... maybe that's destroying competition. And I wouldn't mind that kind of competitor being eradicated.

But if they are going 5% lower than the top dollar companies, I can't see where 5% is going to hurt the the expensive companies. I don't think people paying high dollar pay attention to a 5% discount, otherwise they would be trying to find companies 30% cheaper, where the tree was cut down for $1000 instead of $1500.

So it may seem that it's the low price outfits who are at risk. I also think that cheap prices build and overall less loyal and less desirable clientele.

Maybe they are doing some folks a favor.

This is interesting in that i quoted a job recently 7 lombardis about 160 feet high(in my area they quite common) maybe 7 feet through at the base maybe more for some up to 15 leaders per tree we quoted 2 days a tree (a limited drop zone lots of rigging) and chipping on top of course for about 12000 standard rate being 2 guys and chipper 850-890 a day we got beaten by the orange machine to do the whole job for 5000. I cant work out the math on this as to how anyone could do the job over the same amount of time for that ????? Do they do the job to lose money and squeeze us out in the search of world domination