Hawthorn prick

Dean Lofthouse

Has nobody mentioned Ripeur2 gloves yet? Where's the Arbtalk Ripeur2 rep?.... has anybody heard about Ripeur2 gloves? :thumbup:

I know of them but wouldn't buy a pair to swipe down some 3' saplings with a saw! I was just making some space for small brush about to come off a large tree. I never once picked up a piece of blackthorn!

I know of them but wouldn't buy a pair to swipe down some 3' saplings with a saw! I was just making some space for small brush about to come off a large tree. I never once picked up a piece of blackthorn!

I used to think the same... but only until my knuckle swelled up and felt like an early onset of arthritis.

I tell ya, blackthorn & hawthorn is the work of the devil!

cheers, steve

Cheapest place is at Safety Hut; Ripeur 2 Leather puncture resistant glove :: Safety Hut : World class personal protective equipment for industry but yeah they ain't cheap.

Then again... wearing out umpteen pairs of other cheaper gloves could work out more expensive in the long run.

cheers, steve

• 1 year later...

My turn !!!!

Using a Hawthorn as an anchor for my Tirfor (no other choice) to pull out a hedge row, which worked very well, except for just about at the end of the day managed to imbed a Hawthorn thorn right through my glove and into my knuckle while moving the Tirfor handle back and forth.

I am sure I could feel the dam thing scraping against my knuckle bone, pulled it out, and 24 hours later still sore and now swollen.

Going to give it another 24 hours to see if it gets worse, if it does guess I'll drop into A&E tomorrow to get some antibiotics.

Deffo get the doc to look tomorrow- into the joint is pretty serious i would think.

My old man had one go into his eyeball, dead centre of the pupil, all the fluid was pumping out, you could see it, luckily we knew where the eye hospital was, straight there they said you will loose the eye here is the lady who will paint your glass one for you ! they said you could try an injection into the eye with antibiotics i think it was patch up and in the morning we will know more, he did not loose it but it's a bit lazy, take care with that hedging.