Creosote Fencing Posts

carpenter1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if this has been mentioned but B&Q, Homebase etc stopped selling creosote because it made garden sheds and fences last far too long.

The weak creosote substitute stuff they sell to the public today is about as good as coating your garden shed in diluted water.

Diluted water??

How do you dilute water?😳😀

That looks like it could work - they always snap at ground level anyway. I once made the mistake of buying Post saver posts which were meant to last as they had a sleeve shrink wrapped around the bottom of the post- I found them to be hopeless- the sleeve just traps water against the post as the wood shrinks and expands and if anything they rot quicker then standard post.

Success with this stuff is not great either as it also traps moisture in, both what is on and in the post when treating.:thumbdown:

That looks like it could work - they always snap at ground level anyway. I once made the mistake of buying Post saver posts which were meant to last as they had a sleeve shrink wrapped around the bottom of the post- I found them to be hopeless- the sleeve just traps water against the post as the wood shrinks and expands and if anything they rot quicker then standard post.

Remember those from a few years back, glad I didn't buy any then

You could also use class 4 timber ie. Redwood timber, Kiln dried to 28% m/c then pressure treated. 15+years desired lifespan.:thumbup:

Given how wet fence posts are when you fetch them from my local supplier I have my doubts that the 15 year stuff will last that long, I know thier standard stuff will last 6-7 years if your lucky, I have had one that rotted clean off in 3 years, yet we have fencing done 26 years ago when we moved to the farm and if you take the posts out thier as sound as the day they went in, I'm looking at using metal gateposts where possible so dnt have the problem with rotting gateposts pulling over the rest of the fence

Given how wet fence posts are when you fetch them from my local supplier I have my doubts that the 15 year stuff will last that long, I know thier standard stuff will last 6-7 years if your lucky, I have had one that rotted clean off in 3 years, yet we have fencing done 26 years ago when we moved to the farm and if you take the posts out thier as sound as the day they went in, I'm looking at using metal gateposts where possible so dnt have the problem with rotting gateposts pulling over the rest of the fence

But why would that happen- everyone knows you shouldn't strain of a gatepost:001_rolleyes:

would it be better, if i bought sweet chestnut stakes, left in a shed for 2-3 months, then dip the whole bundles in creosote, and leave it in it for 1 week, then lift out with merlo, and leave to dry above the tank to not loss any.

how long would the stake last then?

Nobody can predict, but I have pulled some out that were in pristine condition after 5 years.

To maximise the lifespan, sweet chestnut winter cut definitely last longer than summer cut, dipped has got to last longer, I leave them to dry from the woodyard for a few days, then in the barell for 24 hours at least, then stand them to dry before stacking. ( I use a trough which collects the runoff)

The longer the drying period the better, if the post cracks then the creosote goes in the cracks. The preservation process is acidic, so for gate posts with creosote no point in using concrete which is alkaline, the post will rot in the hole and wobble.

Because you rail between the gatepost and the strainer post else the animals wander out the gap between them :laugh1:

But then that leads to the same problem as if you strained of the gatepost- if it gets knocked or moves its has a knock on effect on the fence, not being picky just interested in how others do it. I tend to put in the gatepost next to the strainer leaving a 3 inch gap or so