Damn!

Bren.

Sniff!

As the proud possessor of a 1998 "G" Wagen.

(i) Whats a thrust bearing

(ii) Whats an oil leak.

(iii) Whats these "bearkdowns"

An the last What?

The difference between a "G" Wagen and a Landrover?

A "G" Wagen keeps the oil in and the water out.

Boom boom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the old days of the british bike if it did not leak oil then something was wrong with it see LR are carrying on the tradition :biggrin:. had two discos and always something wrong with them. got rid of them. and bought a nissan d22. and that blew up its engine due to wrong parts put in by the spanish. but apart from that touch wood it is a cracking truck. the LR could be so good if they only came into the modern times. and not stick with something from the second world war. when i say LR the defenders not the chelsea tractor that the disco and range rover have become. if the defender had the comfort of a jap. a chassis which has been galvanized. and the cobra engine be a good truck. make the japs look up.

Galvanising chassis rails is a poor substitute for proper design, steel, prep and painting.

The heat necc for hot dip galvanising tempers (ie softens) the steel.

Therefore must be made thicker and heavier than necc.

"G" Wagen chassis at 30 odd years of age with any reasonable care are still 100% sound.

They are "merely" painted.

No HGV that I am aware of uses galv chassis rails.

Why?

cheers

m

My 130 has just had 2 new drive shafts and universal joints on the front and. The suspension link arm bushes. It does heavy work all year round. I would not change it for anything, it gets down narrow drives to chip or drop logs, gets in tight fields and narrow lanes and carries 3.5 (approx) of Woodchip. I wouldn't change it for anything. :)

Sent from Outerspace.

My 130 has just had 2 new drive shafts and universal joints on the front and. The suspension link arm bushes. It does heavy work all year round. I would not change it for anything, it gets down narrow drives to chip or drop logs, gets in tight fields and narrow lanes and carries 3.5 (approx) of Woodchip. I wouldn't change it for anything. :)

Sent from Outerspace.

Yep mine too, tows digger around pretty much daily on steep Dartmoor hills gets it in and out of fields and woods and has done 150k miles. Parts I have replaced in nearly 5 years= universal joints, radiator(by choice) and clutch and other small wear items.

Cracking truck would not change it for a million Nissan/Toyota's/mitsubish.

IMO the Defenders which cause problems are usually ones which are hopelessly neglected and abused(because they can be).

land rover chassis is one of the stupidest designs out there, who came up with the idea for a box section chassis rail for an off road vehicle, mud, road salt , water and all the other crap get in , and cant get out, chassis rots from the inside out, real clever design, look at srious off road vehicles, a heavy duty "c" section chassis, nothing to trap the crap inside,but then again university trained designers, they must be right...lol