Big saws 880 3120 etc

swinny

Our two haven't been out for ages in anger

Have a 3120 on a 50" Canon . Comes out once or twice a year only . Don't like picking it up unless its absolutely needed . Last used on a dead redwood .

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not running the 880 for a while is a bad idea. They like working. Sitting in a shed for years does them no good whatso ever.

Had to repair one once that wasn't run for a year. The flywheel was shot. Also the fuel lines go horrible if they are drained and then dry out and get filled again.

Would the not used off a while 880 saw be a prime candidate for the use of aspen???

Funny you should say that, I filled mine with aspen then read on here somewhere it'll rot the fuel lines if you use petrol then aspen, was I wrong?

Funny you should say that, I filled mine with aspen then read on here somewhere it'll rot the fuel lines if you use petrol then aspen, was I wrong?

You will have to ask eddie@aspen for that one.

As far as I know its the fuel that does the pipes in. Keep petrol going through and its fine it change and they can crack up. The petrol makes them soft, then no petrol makes them brittle.

That's how I remember it anyway.

Don't own either, but have used both 3120 and 880, actually prefer the 880 despite having spent more time on the 3120.

On the whole felling big stuff, it gets prepped with the 66 then the back cut put in with the 3120. The prep gets done with the smaller saw partly because it's easier to be more accurate with and partly so the big saw is kept sharp for a fast back cut.

Can't remember anything we couldn't have got don with the 66 but with the 3120 it's done in a 1'er rather than beavering away from both sides with the 66.

Where I feel the 3120 really comes into it's own is ringing up a big stem.

More often than not, it takes longer to start the 3120 than it's used for - that bloody primer button is a pain in the arse! Why can't they just have a choke like a normal saw?

Edited by Chris Sheppard

I think what happens is all the rubber components in the carb and fuel lines have a coating that keeps the supple . Petrol removes that coating but petrol itself keeps them supple . If you change to aspen after running petrol mix the aspen wont keep the rubber soft and so it cracks . If you run aspen from the start the coating stays on so no problem

Love mine, 880 that is. Would go as far as to say my favourite saw. And I have used more than my fair share.

It's got more than enough power, have it on a full chisel though, in my opinion.

Compare the 660/390/395 it's fuel economy is far, far superior.

Only had mine for a few months used it a few times, like the others say its a one time purchase.

I think what happens is all the rubber components in the carb and fuel lines have a coating that keeps the supple . Petrol removes that coating but petrol itself keeps them supple . If you change to aspen after running petrol mix the aspen wont keep the rubber soft and so it cracks . If you run aspen from the start the coating stays on so no problem

Ok, thanks, I'll pull it out,run it empty on aspen and put ordinary fuel in.

Don't own either, but have used both 3120 and 880, actually prefer the 880 despite having spent more time on the 3120.

On the whole felling big stuff, it gets prepped with the 66 then the back cut put in with the 3120. The prep gets done with the smaller saw partly because it's easier to be more accurate with and partly so the big saw is kept sharp for a fast back cut.

Can't remember anything we couldn't have got don with the 66 but with the 3120 it's done in a 1'er rather than beavering away from both sides with the 66.

Where I feel the 3120 really comes into it's own is ringing up a big stem.

More often than not, it takes longer to start the 3120 than it's used for - that bloody primer button is a pain in the arse! Why can't they just have a choke like a normal saw?

My 3120 has a choke . Not a primer bulb anywhere . Has auto oiler and extra manual oiler as well for the extra long bars

Just curious to know if you own one, use one etc?

Do you feel there is a need for one?

Are you a battle on with the 660 type person?

Are there really any bigger tree's out there that warrent the big saws....

And i know some like the 880 etc on smaller bars etc...

Just curious :lol:

HI SWINNY if you use a ms660 and think thats good on a 25""bar then try a 880 on a 3/4ft bar it very good on beech oak butts and i like a large butt thanks jon :thumbup: