Have to renew all NPTC units every 5 years

lloyd g

Try reading my post correctly. There is a link to the aa approved contractors on most council websites or certainly on the ones local to me there is. That is the best advertising for me, my name and not many others direct to the people who a concerned about there trees and want a proper job

I read it, I also understand how the general public think, first search on the computer, if they want it done immediately, 2 blokes will get called for quotes, if there isn't a rush, a fair few will give quotes, and most clients aren't gonna mooch around looking for a guy to cut the tree or hedge back

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it, I also understand how the general public think, first search on the computer, if they want it done immediately, 2 blokes will get called for quotes, if there isn't a rush, a fair few will give quotes, and most clients aren't gonna mooch around looking for a guy to cut the tree or hedge back

You read it, but but didn't understand it. I'm not interested in joe blogs who want a quick job at the cheapest price. Most of my customers have a two month wait between quoting and us doing the work. They are happy to wait because they want us to do the work. A lot of my work comes through the AA. But you obviously know far more about running a tree service than me so il bow to your ability to understand the general public and continue working in the bubble that I'm obviously in and shan't derail the thread any more

You read it, but but didn't understand it. I'm not interested in joe blogs who want a quick job at the cheapest price. Most of my customers have a two month wait between quoting and us doing the work. They are happy to wait because they want us to do the work. A lot of my work comes through the AA. But you obviously know far more about running a tree service than me so il bow to your ability to understand the general public and continue working in the bubble that I'm obviously in and shan't derail the thread any more

We can't all work in that bubble though, what I'm saying is this: there is no organisation that represents the majority of tree workers, you have the AA who represent a tiny amount of elite type workers, FISA who do FC based work, who want their members/contractors to be up to date with industry standards and best practices, but nothing inbetween, unfortunately those under FISA are now moaning like hell at being told 'be up to date' with what they do, ok it doesn't make sense to only bother with those doing mainly softwood cutting (though I suppose they're assuming everyone does mostly softwood), if they don't like it, don't do it, someone else will. But we do, on the whole, need a main body of representation, I used the AA as an example, they're a site sponsor, and the most widely acknowledged within the trade, but they wouldn't have to accredit every person if they took lead and represented the trade, a two tier system could be quite easily implemented, with those who are currently AAC being main large contract workers, whilst the non-AAC members being given perks such as representation, newsletters/magazines with developments within the trade, etc

a two tier system could be quite easily implemented, with those who are currently AAC being main large contract workers, whilst the non-AAC members being given perks such as representation, newsletters/magazines with developments within the trade, etc

You can either be a member at various different levels or aaac

That is a two tier system, members receive magazines, journals and discounted courses whilst aaac receive other perks as well as the standard member stuff

I simply don't believe this is true.

If your driven into by a drink driver or someone running a red light will there insurance pay out?? of course it will, their own loses may not be covered, but a third parties will be.

Lets hope you never need to test it, regarding car insurance yes the person affected by a drink driver recovers loss from their own insurance then their insurance company seeks recovery from the drunk drivers insurance company whether they recover the cost is debatable.

Regarding public liability i know i must be competently trained, so if im dismantling a tree with rigging i need cs309/41 without it i am unable to prove competency. Also the aa require it for assessment i think.

I also need loler if it is equipment failure that causes any accident.

ask your insurance company if they will send via post or email confirmation that they will cover you in the event of a serious accident even if you are not competenty trained and have no loler records ?. Let me know what they say :thumbup: Im not digging you buddy just stuff i have learnt after my latest course :D

Edited by TREE-SURGEON-ESSEX

Don't think this is right. FC policy is that full time users must REFRESH every 5 years, not re-sit. BUT, doing a ticket refreshes you. So, it may be cheaper to do the assessment than to do the refresher. That is do the assessment only, not the training.

See other threads on this, but it appears the powers that be have decided that we are too dangerous and that refresher training will make us safer.

Sorry, and I'm sure there's loadsa good stuff here but please try to embrace 'refresher training', never easy I know and partic when "forced" on you, but it is in your interest and our accident rate is high.

The essence of effective refresher training is to both refresh and advance, wherever possible i.e. new techniques / technologies, and of course to knock off those bad habits you've picked up :001_rolleyes:

Not sure that simply redoing your NPTCs / competence certificates / licence to practice, will achieve this.

Cheers..

Paul

Sorry, and I'm sure there's loadsa good stuff here but please try to embrace 'refresher training', never easy I know and partic when "forced" on you, but it is in your interest and our accident rate is high.

Hi Paul,

Can you (the AA), or HSE, NPTC and LANTRA prove a definite link between a higher accident rate and the lack of refresher training?

You say our accident rate is high, high compared with what? Are there more accidents now than 20 years ago? Are there more accidents in treework than the offshore oil industry?

Forestry is bringing in FISA (Forestry Industry Safety Accord) - it means everyone in forestry will have to update training every 5 years. The HSE have pushed it through the industry - once forestry has it implemented it will move on to Arb. Most people in the industry not that happy with the way it's being done.

You can either be a member at various different levels or aaac

That is a two tier system, members receive magazines, journals and discounted courses whilst aaac receive other perks as well as the standard member stuff

Then what I suggested could quite easily be done