How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and there was me thinking this industry was moving forward.:sneaky2:

never presume anything in this world mate, i even contemplate on thinking about thinking myself.....never the less we maybe going backwards but sometimes you just need to move back to realise you need to move forward....

seems I am in a very very small minority who feel its a pita:lol:

I doubt it. I think you are more likely to be in a minority that..

1 Can actually be bothered to voice their opinion.

2 Will tell the truth about such matters not caring who is watching.

Can those who are all for the refresher honestly say they keep up with every ticket AND all freelancers and subbies they work with, work for and employ do the same?

Afertall it's only really are own safety while working in this industry, most others would be putting the public at risk far more often than we do.

Anyone know if it's just the UK that try to make us jump through more and more hoops?

I think you've hit the nail on the head Mesterh, and I do respect Tony for his opinion on this. In these hard economic times, I'm sure corners will be cut, savings have to be made to streamline businesses, and it does seem to me that the only growth industry is the training sector.

Like I said, i will resign myself to doing so.

seems I am in a very very small minority who feel its a pita:lol:

this training assesment larks a good little earner!:biggrin:

I think you should go on a course to become a trainer. But then their probably isnt one. If you call yourself a trainer ( perhaps you are then like a god of the arb world) you then dont need to go on refresher courses. I have seen posts on here from students just out of college becoming trainers:confused1:

To train up costs serious money

To have to refresh costs more

They are going to kill training if they continue to charge at the level they do.

Some company should see an oportunity in refreshing efficiently. Say- a days course to cover a number of tickets.

How many on here are fed up with training courses that give up 90% of their time to largely unnecessary information that is forgotten 2 days later. We've all heard it- 'Let's crack on and we can be gone early'. Just make training relevant and not pad it out with rubbish. 12 people in a room being charged up to £180 EACH. If only more bosses went on these courses and realised how they were being ripped off.

So come on trainers- stop taking the proverbial- or you'll ruin your industry

Let's have some value training. Then we won't resent it.

If I employed people using saws I'd get them refreshed, just to cover my ass, but I think its a money making scheme and wrong!!

So what do you recon Dave, are the HSE in league with the independent training providers?

Come to think of it there are loads of “money making schemes out there”

MOT’s

Gas safety inspections for landlords

Safety inspections for garage forecourts

Medicals for HGV drivers

IRATA refreshers, they are three years and if you don’t log any hours for 6 months you have to do a refresher.

Maybe if there were less accidents in the Arb/forestry sector we wouldnt need so much refreshing. Many accidents occur across the board, age is irrelevant, experience is irrelevant. Examples shown in http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg278.pdf show that LA personnel (who we'd assume would have refreshers coming out of their backsides) make mistakes, self-employed workers make mistakes, foresters etc etc. it really makes no difference who you are. So when people like Hama come here on one of their missions to save us from ourselves, just bear in mind that that one tit-bit of information shared on a refresher could maybe save your life.

Surely, all this implies is that refresher training is irrelevant when it comes to accident reduction?